Secondary Fermentation Completely Inactive

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PicoRascar

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm making a Pinto Grigio using the Kenridge kit. Things went pretty good in the first fermentation. I had pretty lots of foaming and lots of fizzing. However, I racked the wine to my carboy yesterday and since that time there is literally zero bubbling or fizzing. The juice just looks completely inactive and the airlock hasn't bubbled at all.

Is this normal? I know they say foaming/bubbling isn't always a measure of fermentation activity but this juice looks absolutely dead.

Thanks for any insight.

Without a hydrometer, you are just guessing. Fermentation diesnt need to be seen to be working.

The instructions say it should be less than 1.020 and I'm just under that. I guess I'll wait a bit longer and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

To restate, only your hydrometer can tell you if it's fermenting.

With kits, typical advice is to do whatever takes the longest when you have a choice between time and specific gravity.

Heather

Last edited:
It appears to be done fermenting. The SG hasn't moved in days and there is absolutely no activity whatsoever. Not even one little bubble anywhere. My plan is to let it sit for the recommended time and continue with the instructions without deviation.

The temperature is 17 Celsius although it dips to 16.5 occasionally.

Thanks again.

It appears to be done fermenting. The SG hasn't moved in days and there is absolutely no activity whatsoever. Not even one little bubble anywhere. My plan is to let it sit for the recommended time and continue with the instructions without deviation.

The temperature is 17 Celsius although it dips to 16.5 occasionally.

Thanks again.
That's a bit cool. Make sure you get it warmer for degassing.

What is the sg? The only comment from you that I see is "less than 1.020 and I'm just under that". If that's the case then fermentation is NOT finished. This kit should finish around .992.

Steve

Back