Frontenac Gris Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobR

Reaction score
A little over two years ago, I planted a row of Niagara grapes. Two plants out of the row, did not look right, so when I let them grow grapes last summer, they definitely were not Niagara. I sent photos and descriptions of the plants to the University of Minnesota and they confirmed that the two plants were their Frontenac gris. Plants were mislabeled from the nursery, so today, I dug them up and relocated them to an old fence row just to get them out of my way. My question is, how much should I cut them back to get them to grow again.

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

It doesn't look like you have a very large root system left on the one you show dug up. Because of this you will want to cut back to about a foot to 18 inches. That should let them grow alright. Frontenac Gris is fairly to very vigorous so it should grow back fine where you plant it.

Frontenac gris were cut back and transplanted 3 weeks ago and they are already budding out. Didn't think that they would come around so soon.

Back