Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > General Chit-Chat > What R you doing today?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #15211
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126

Work is done. Merlot is at 1.002 and yield was a little better than 7.5 gallons - a little low considering I added 3/4 of a gallon of acidulated water. Not too bad though. The Malbec is at 1.040, so I should be OK waiting until Friday if it continues at the current pace.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

ceeaton Likes This 
Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #15212
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3387 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Well, not today, exactly, but I did this yesterday. A month or so ago, I bought a press, but I haven't seen similar presses. To work the screw, it just has a flat piece of aluminum stock. (This may not be original, as it looks a bit "added on." I figured it would take a long time to move the drive screw way up and down the basket, so I added a crank handle.

One funny part of this is that I was missing nearly all my decent tools. I often lend my tools to myself at work, so my good drill, my good drill bits, my punch, etc., were all at work. Moreover, I bought a used, dull 3/8-16 tap from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a buck. (I normally only buy good tools these days, but I correctly figured I could get one lousy hole in Al out of it!) Had to drill the hole with an old, cheapo drill bit, after using a drywall screw for a punch, and using a little cordless drill/driver. Geez. Fortunately, my tap handle was at home. I used Mazola as my thread-cutting lubricant, but it got 'er done. I put some food-grade lubricant on the drive screw, and now it purrs up and down (under no-load conditions, obviously).

I also bought a half-sheet baking pan to use as a tray for the pressed juice. To make a spout, I wanted to bend down one side of the lip. It looked like they rolled the aluminum lip into a circle at the edges. I was going to just try to muscle the lip downward, but decided to unroll the lip first. Good thing I did, as there was a 1/4" steel bar that the lip was rolled around. So I cut that out of one end using an angle grinder cut-off, then hammered the aluminum into a spout shape (with, sigh, my cheap hammer, good one at work!).

First pic is the Craigslist ad for the press. Second pic shows my new crank handle.
my new press.jpg   DSCN0699.jpg  

People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #15213
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2350 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

I spent most of today, since the best team in football Philadelphia Eagles weren't playing today, racking wines. Very overdue on some. None of them had turned to vinegar, so that was a positive thing. Racked seven batches (I love my AIO). Most I racked with the AIO, then gravity fed back into their original container after it was cleaned. I'm low on carboys, so until I bottle a few more batches, I have to use a common six gallon carboy and then transfer back to the original. I did siphon off a few bottles of Syrah from last Fall. They will act as my cellar Beaujolais, though they are much older than a normal one.
19-22-17_racking.JPG  

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #15214
sdibley
new world grapes / old world tradition

Oct 2017
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I racked 7 x 15gals of Concord and started mlf.
IMG_20171022_201706.jpg