Beginner Seeking Advice On Welch's Frozen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a three gallon recipe I've used. I kinda made it up as I went along but I kept pretty good notes.

THREE GALLON RECIPE

Pkt Yeast: Red Star Premier Blanc
11 cans Welch's White Grape Concentrate (100% juice)
1 Tablespoon Bentonite dissolved in warm spring water (I bought mine for 88 cents/gal from Walmart)
2 cups sugar dissolved into 1 cup spring water and gently simmered for 30 minutes then cooled to room temp
1/2 teaspoon Tannin (optional)
1.25 Tablespoon yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
2.5 Tablespoon Acid blend
4 oz. golden raisins roughly chopped

Later
1 or 2 more cans concentrate (to your taste preference)
3 K-meta Campden tablets
1.5 teaspoons Potassium Sorbate

Mix everything EXCEPT the yeast and the items under "Later" (the additional concentrate, Campden, and Potassium Sorbate) and allow to stand in your primary for 24 hours. The concentrate has either sorbate or sulphite (can't remember) and it needs to gas off.

After 24 hours pitch your yeast (I sprinkled mine but I usually hydrate in 104 degree water with 1 tablespoon of sugar). Take a hydrometer reading. Mine was 1.086.

Allow to ferment between 70 and 80 degrees until you get a hydrometer reading below 1.000. Mine stuck on 0.998 for a week. Rack into a secondary and degas for at least 10 minutes with a drill mounted degasser. Mine ended up around 11.5% ABV -- perfect for my wife.

After 3 days, boil one cup of water with 1.5 teaspoons Sparkolloid for 15 minutes, topping off with more water if needed. You'll need minimum 1/2 cup of this slurry. Add it to your secondary. It will clear in a few days!

After the wine has sufficiently cleared, add one or two more cans of Welch's white grape concentrate (this depends on your personal taste preferences - my wife likes it a little sweeter) to a clean carboy and rack again, leaving behind any sediment and be sure to not agitate the finings at the bottom. Add three crushed Campden tablets and 1.5 teaspoons Potassium Sorbate to 1/4 cup warm water. Dissolve and add to the wine in the clean carboy.

About one week later, you're probably ready to rack again and potentially bottle. I used a bottle of cheap Pinot Grigio to keep mine topped up in the carboy (Three bucks at Aldi's for something called Winking Owl Pinot Grigio).

Doesn't need to age too long -- maybe 30 days tops -- Enjoy! Personally I find it a little one dimensional but it's a decent table wine and is very drinkable.

I have a wine calculator I use in Excel. I'd attach it here but for some reason Excel files can't be attached anymore. PM me if you want it and I'll email it to you. It figures how much concentrate you need, how much sugar to add for a certain gravity, and helps figure TA if you have a pH meter.

Back