Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Equipment & Sanitation > Is this an airlock or else?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9


And thank you for great forum. It's my first visit and I came with a question.

I'm trying to figure out what is the English word for this type of "airolock," or bung. I've seen it as "hydraulic bung" in one place, but cannot find it anywhere else in US web pages/stores, so maybe some other word is used.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
DirtyDawg10's Avatar
Feb 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I've never seen them around here before. Here's a write up on them.

Clearing: Apple wine
Clearing: RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan
Bottled: Cherry/Lemon/Lime Skeeter Pee
Bottled: WE Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot
Bottled: Quad Berry Skeeter Pee (Dragon's Blood)
Bottled: RJ Spagnonls Orchard Breezin Green Apple Gewurztraminer
Bottled: Advintage FC Collection Blanc de St. Vincent

Pumpkinman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
Pumpkinman's Avatar
Oct 2012
Posts: 3,433
Liked 642 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 755

You are in Italy, no?
What you are showing from the website is what is called a Colmatore:
From their website:
The “colmatore” is a genial invention: it is divided in two pieces, the lower part is the bottle full of water with a whole in the middle through where the gas can escape; the top part is like a cover that is contact with the water and by pressure avoids the air enters in the barrel (more oxygen in contact with the wine could be a disaster, as long as by natural chemical reaction the alcohol could start to be transformed into vinegar.
It sounds a lot like the 3 piece airlock.

Here is a nice rad on Tuscan wines:

Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Junior Member
Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thank you for the replies - especially given that there's not much information in US pages.

The montalcino report is a nice write up and I got the translation "hydraulic bung" from there. I had spent an hour searching something with that or similar names in the US without success.

You are right, Pumpkinman, it is like a 3 piece airlock, just bigger and of a different shape. I inserted a 3-piece last night and filled it with wine. This morning the wine was gone. So a real "colmatore" would do a better job.

I moved to the US from Italy several years ago and recently upgraded from carboys and demijohns to a barrel or two. And then realized that a "hydraulic bung," or whatever it might be called in the US, would be really helpful to monitor for and prevent certain type of spoilage.

Most of the wineries I visited in Italy use this device for regular (59-60 gal) and bigger (250 +) barrels and it is available in online stores as well. Problem is that I found only one store that would ship to the US but they want $60 shipment for something that's less than half a pound heavy.

I also asked the owners of two local wineries (Virgina) and they've never seen it either.

I guess I'll order from Italy and drink a slightly more expensive but healthier San Giovese.

Thank you again!

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Primary fermentation: Airlock or no airlock? Slyder73 Beginners Wine Making Forum 18 08-11-2014 01:29 PM
Other Airlock rslayback Kit Winemaking 6 01-14-2014 02:28 PM
Airlock rosa6329 Beginners Wine Making Forum 5 01-01-2012 08:49 AM
Airlock lewisericeric Beginners Wine Making Forum 15 10-10-2010 04:41 AM
Airlock Joanie General Wine Making Forum 5 08-20-2006 07:13 AM

Forum Jump