Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Prickly Pear Wine

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Jericurl

Sep 2013
Liked 760 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Step 1: Convince Manthing to drive around in in the country, looking for purple tuna (or nopales).

Step 2: Be overly bubbly/happy to compensate for Manthing's grumpy "I don't want to do this" attitude.

Step 3: Find easily accessible prickly pear patch. We drove for about 20 minutes and found a large patch along a fenceline. We spent about 15 minutes pulling the fruit off with tongs. Avoid touching and/or brushing up against any part of the prickly pear. I cannot stress this enough (evidenced by the time Manthing spent with a bright light, tweezers, and a magnifying glass)

Step 4: Drive home to the barrio and give your nosey neighbor some of the purple "tuna." Apparently she cooks them in her scrambled eggs and also makes a syrup to serve with her tequila.

Step 5: Allow Manthing to fire up his flamethrower that is normally used for killing weeds/tumbleweeds. Lay all fruit on your outdoor grill, fire with the flamethrower for several minutes until all small thorns/stickers are burned off. Flip over and repeat. (We used the flamethrower because we were in a hurry and wanted to use both racks on the grill at once)

Step 6: Weight the fruit and try not to let the juice, that is going everywhere, stain anything.

Step 7: Freeze as much as the fruit as possible so that you can juice it tomorrow.

Will keep you updated on the process as I go. Not quite sure what recipe I will use yet.
I'm not quite sure how to post pictures but as soon as I figure it out I will post some.

This stuff is bright magenta. Seriously, I cannot get over how BRIGHT and pinky purple this stuff is.

We ended up with 30.5 lbs. We picked a full 5 gallon bucket and about 1/4 of another 5 gallon bucket.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 4114 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 3107

Really interesting. Being from New Jersey, I don't think I would even recognize prickly pear. Pictures would be nice..

One other thing.. Seems to me that your guy went through a lot to help you. I think you should do something nice for him. Perhaps you could stop calling him "your manthing". (LOL)

LoneStarLori Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 760 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Scroll down to the country fruit section. there is a long thread on there about prickly pear wine. I have not read clear thru it as like John, I wouldn't know a prickly pear if it came up and bit me. Would probably recognize it next time, tho. Anyway, there are some recipes, trials and tribulations folks have gone thru. Mite help you if you read it before you get too far along. Good luck with the wine. Arne.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Thanks Arne.

I've read through it and I'm thinking I will probably follow the first recipe posted. Right now I'm just trying to decide how to juice my fruit.

John,
Manthing is aware of my online moniker for him...he chose it. Our relationship is secure, we both appreciate each other immensely.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Downwards

Mar 2013
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I'll bet your nosy neighbor doesn't use the fruit in her eggs but the young pads themselves. They are delicious too, kind of like tangy asparagus.

Keep us updated on this, sounds amazing!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
LoneStarLori
Veteran wino, newbie vintner

Aug 2013
Liked 560 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Ah.. Jeri you are a going to make this a legendary wine. I would have never even looked twice at those sticky b-tards. Before you get too far, look at Jack Kellers recipe http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/prickly.asp. He's kind of a legend and has an entire section on native Texas wines. He lives just south of San Antonio. Let me warn you, his recipes are daunting, but if you take the basics and ask questions, I bet you will have a rockin' vino.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Jericurl

Sep 2013

oh my heck!

An entire evenings worth of chopping, slicing, peeling, boiling and straining.

And I'm not even halfway done!

But I have about a gallon and a half of juice so far.
I just poured it into a glass gallon jug and put it in the fridge.
I strained through a mesh bag and cotton fabric.
Tomorrow I will run it through a coffee filter just to make sure I got everything out of the juice and start freezing it.
I'm waiting on my larger containers to come in from Midwest. As soon as I get those in I will set about making wine.
I also want to do something with prickly pears, sugar and vodka. This stuff is really good. I may or may not have whipped up a little something while I was monkeying around with the prickly pear fruit. Holy hannah. Adding sugar really brings out the flavor. It tastes like a cross between kiwi fruit and watermelon.

One thing I did want to ask....I'm a little afraid of pathogens being in the fruit juice right now.
Should I add something to the juice before freezing it or will it be fine to wait until I'm actually making the wine?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Lori thanks!

I've checked out his site and I used a modified version of his juicing technique tonight.

I'm still working on my recipe but I think I'm going to do something between his version and the recipe that Snowgirl used.

Downwards,
No she actually uses the fruit.
She has a prickly pear in her front yard, hers just isn't fruiting this year. She seasons and grills the "nopales" like steak and they are really good eating.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 4114 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
John,
Manthing is aware of my online moniker for him...he chose it. Our relationship is secure, we both appreciate each other immensely.
Jeri,

The problem with blogs is that you can not hear the tone of ones voice. I really was just joking. I need to be a little more careful in future.

All of this sounds amazingly cool. Any chance at some picures??

Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 760 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Jeri,
You do not have to filter everything out before you ferment it. It will clear after fermenting and anything left in it should fall out after degassing and letting it sit and clear. You will then rack the wine off and leave the junk that falls out. Arne.