Removing Glue from the outside of bottles!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a combination of many above. Start by soaking overnight or while at work. Scrap with some sort of sharp edge, Magic Eraser, and then goo-gone if necessary.

I read in another form where someone backed the bottles for a few minutes to soften stuburn glue. I have not tried that.

I felt like I won the lottery one day when a label and glue just fell off the bottle while soaking. It only happend once.

I use a combo of ammonia and dishwashing soap. Sometime I'll add dif too if its paper labels. Most labels come right off in about 15 minutes, some need a bit more persuasion with a straight edge.

[
To me, its not worth the frustration, stress, and time to spend more than 2-3 minutes per bottle! I can buy a case of 12 for $8 new, so I ask myself 'is this worth $0.75?' - if not, in the recycling it goes![/QUOTE]

You may be different from me. I need to make approx. $1.00 to have $.75 left after Federal and State taxes and that doesn't include sales or property taxs.

I found some bottles use oriented PP for the label. If you don't soak them, you can pull the label off and the glue come with it. Soaking only makes a mess. I also found that some labels are too difficult to deal with but I don't throw them into the recycling. I use the bottle as is and write on the label. It's what's on the inside that counts.

e-wine

[
To me, its not worth the frustration, stress, and time to spend more than 2-3 minutes per bottle! I can buy a case of 12 for $8 new, so I ask myself 'is this worth $0.75?' - if not, in the recycling it goes!

I wish I could find new bottles at $8. a case.. I wouldn't scrape either. We pay around $18 per case here..

I wish I could find new bottles at $8. a case.. I wouldn't scrape either. We pay around $18 per case here..

I just got back with 20 more cases of new glass to go with the 36 cases I bought a while back.

Cost? $4.80/case

I'll NEVER scrape a label again!

I just got back with 20 more cases of new glass to go with the 36 cases I bought a while back.

Cost? $4.80/case

I'll NEVER scrape a label again!

SURE RUB IT IN....... :(:(:(:m

Nope.. I live in PA but I did live in MO for about 3 years whenI was stationed there at Ft Leonard Wood lets see 1989-1992 yep that was about 3 years... I liked MO will be back to visit someday. :D

cool, I have used magic erasers and they work really nice but wd40 is probably cheaper by far.

Nope.. I live in PA but I did live in MO for about 3 years whenI was stationed there at Ft Leonard Wood lets see 1989-1992 yep that was about 3 years... I liked MO will be back to visit someday. :D

If you were at fort wood, then you're prolly familair with St james. That's where the bottles are.

I live further south, about 45 minutes from ft wood.

Personally I haven't had much experience at this (still a newbie) but what I have found, for what it's worth, is that soaking the bottles for about an hour in hot watter, peel the label off and then using an SOS pad to remove the glue works great.

i use a razor blade scraper dry, then if i still have residue i get a bucket and mix a scoop of oxy clean with hot water and one of the copper kitchen brillo pad things. Then after im done with that i just use my bottle brush and hit the inside and then rinse good with my double bottle washer then put them upside down in there crates or boxes till bottling time.

Hey Brian take a trip down to Naylor Winery He might hook you up with some free bottles. If not let me know i might have a source for you.

Hey Brian take a trip down to Naylor Winery He might hook you up with some free bottles. If not let me know i might have a source for you.

Thank Sly! I will try that. I need some more bottles I am running low. I put it on craigs list but people are ridculous they want like $10 per case and they are dirty and still have their lables on.. I do have a few friends that donate to the cause.. I am always looking for new sources.

Check with some of the Restaurants that serve wine, most will save bottles for you as long as you pick them up on a reg basis (doesn't hurt to give them a full bottle in return too) If you get lucky alot of the bottles will be the same size shape and you can pick and choose what ones you want. Olive garden would be a good source too.

Rookies. There is no label that I have found that survives the flame thrower!....err mini propane torch :gb

Some bottles are easy. Some are a bi^H^HPITA!!!

A few weeks ago I had 2 identical bottles, same exact wines. I let them both soak together overnight and then went at them with my scrapper. 1 label just peeled off easy as can be and then I cleaned the little remaining glue off with a wet sponge. The other label was not water soluble and I had to work at it with my razor scrapper and then remove the glue residue with a solvent. Go figure.

Hey I got a great video showing how to easily remove labels and glue residue here:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9E3xhSZqQ[/ame]

Back