What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few Stella Artois to wet my pallet before supper time then i crack open my 2015 Grencahe from Spain
what a beautiful grape

Maybe I need a winter home.
My parents had a winter home in Palatka, west of St. Augustine. They liked not dealing with winter until they got old enough that the drive got to them. They had enough friends and family in NY that they didn't make a permanent move.

Moving south has issues -- in addition to heat (and possibly humidity), insects and spiders. I hated spiders and was deathly afraid of them. Walking in the crawl space where it was likely there were black widows cured me, eventually. Now I merely detest them, although I'm ok with the flat ones.

Moving any distance exchanges one set of issues for another. Do your research and visit during each season to ensure it's ok. My in-laws have wintered in North Myrtle Beach since my f-in-l retired. There are many options.

My parents had a winter home in Palatka, west of St. Augustine. They liked not dealing with winter until they got old enough that the drive got to them. They had enough friends and family in NY that they didn't make a permanent move.

Moving south has issues -- in addition to heat (and possibly humidity), insects and spiders. I hated spiders and was deathly afraid of them. Walking in the crawl space where it was likely there were black widows cured me, eventually. Now I merely detest them, although I'm ok with the flat ones.

Moving any distance exchanges one set of issues for another. Do your research and visit during each season to ensure it's ok. My in-laws have wintered in North Myrtle Beach since my f-in-l retired. There are many options.
Yup summer is brutal, bugs and lizards are not all that bad. It’s almost bearable if you have a pool to go in every day (yes Dave I’ve got one of those) and of course you HAVE to have a machete and mow your lawn every 4 days in the rainy season.
DCBF5CD6-1ED8-4699-B6C0-91BA2B46C071.jpeg
i put my stalk of bananas in the pool after I cut them to sanitize and drown spiders.

We’ve got lots of different varieties of spiders. picture Bubba talking to Forrest Gump as I recite the spiders….

“we have Black Widow spiders and Brown Widow spiders, Crab Spiders, Banana Spiders, Wolf spiders (they jump), Brown Recluse spiders, daddy long leg spiders, etc etc”

my favorite is the crab spider. They eat other spiders. 1648478822129.jpeg

my favorite is the crab spider. They eat other spiders.
Raleigh has most of the spiders you mentioned. Didn't know crab spiders eat other spiders, good to know. I sometimes hunt them with an Airsoft pistol, but will leave 'em alone if the web isn't in a walkway.

Crab spiders build long webs -- had 'em build narrow webs from 20' up in a tree to the ground. In the fall I learned to walk around the yard with a stick to eliminate their webs -- I HATE driving through them!! ;)

They are also quick builders -- one time I went out to get the newspaper (back when there were newspapers), and went out again an hour later -- walked right through a web one had built across our porch.

Back