What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a hard afternoon's labor, the wife and I started by splitting a black Bavarian lager, followed by a 32 oz. growler of an Abbey triple (10% ABV!). By the time I got dinner on the table, we were dipping into a very old, inexpensive Cali GSM blend (2009 Alyssa). I have reported on this wine before: From time to time, my local organic grocer has it CHEAP. It has a ton of wine diamonds, which is perhaps what is driving the cost down. I get it for like $5.99, and it drinks like 3x that. Yum!

I took receipt of an order from WTSO of some Spanish Garnacha: 2012 Viñas Viejas de Paniza. I know nothing about it, and my Hugh Johnson/Jancis Robinson Atlas of Wine has no info. However, it is quite nice: inky, berry fruit, astringent, lingering tannins, a brisk acidity, a bit of vanilla on the finish. I am pleased.

Had this last night, not really impressed yet as it is a young wine at only just a bit over 2 months after f-pack added.

This bottle was the left over when I racked after clearing, the remaining is bulk aging in a 5gal carboy, I have high hopes for this wine....time will tell....

ImageUploadedByWine Making1494944416.151430.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1494944427.525886.jpg

Had this last night, not really impressed yet as it is a young wine at only just a bit over 2 months after f-pack added.

This bottle was the left over when I racked after clearing, the remaining is bulk aging in a 5gal carboy, I have high hopes for this wine....time will tell....

View attachment 36248
View attachment 36249

Is that a frosted bottle or is the bottle just frosty cold? hah Judging by the glass, it's just condensation. That said, it still gives the bottle a nice look.

A friend invited us over for dinner. I made him one of my sous-vide gizmo temperature controllers, and he is having us over to sample some sous-vide fare. I know not what yet. I asked if I could bring a bold, tannic wine, and he said yes. So, I am bringing two things. I will bring one of these:

I took receipt of an order from WTSO of some Spanish Garnacha: 2012 Viñas Viejas de Paniza. I know nothing about it, and my Hugh Johnson/Jancis Robinson Atlas of Wine has no info. However, it is quite nice: inky, berry fruit, astringent, lingering tannins, a brisk acidity, a bit of vanilla on the finish. I am pleased.

(BTW, JohnD kindly provided me some "expert" tasting notes/score for this, and it jived with my description and impression.)

Secondly, I am going to bring another WTSO find, viz., a 2009 Tinta de Toro called Tardencuba Roble. I have not had one of these in a few years, but it packed a flavorful punch, and the tannins grabbed you by the cheeks!

This friend likes to drink :dg , so it could be a rough morning tomorrow!

2013 four star Napa cab Sauv. Basic nice cab, nothing to write home about but at less than$6 a bottle closeout, well worth it.

You guys dry wine drinkers gotta try that Sauv Blanc Cupcake, the mineral flavor is so intense.

@ibglowin have you seen it at your Costco in your neck of the woods?

Against my better judgement, I cracked a bottle of 2015 Intrinsic Cab that I bought last fall and was planning to age. Turned out it was a good idea. Its already mellowed very nicely and worked very well w/ the BBQ baby back ribs.

I will look next time we are there but our local Smith's (Kroger) carries many Cupcake wines as well.

You guys dry wine drinkers gotta try that Sauv Blanc Cupcake, the mineral flavor is so intense.

@ibglowin have you seen it at your Costco in your neck of the woods?

Back