yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premedwine

Junior
Reaction score
I just started my first batch of wine. Everything has sat for 24 hrs and it was time to add yeast. I read you just sprinkle it on top so thats what i did but Im also reading now that you have to mix it with water at 100 degrees or so to activate it. Which one is right in the case of making wine. Is this batch blown already?

Is this a kit wine? Assuming it is, everything is fine. A lot of wine kits want you to sprinkle yeast on the wine without hydrating it. If you were suppose to hydrate the yeast, you just probably prolonged the start of fermentation a day or two. 90% of the wine kits I have done just want the yeast sprinkled on the wine.

Kevin

So long as you have your must at room temp when you sprinkled your yeast you will be off and cooking in a day or two. Now the dreaded part begins....waiting...

I've made wine both ways, either sprinkling the yeast on top of the must or making yeast starters with warm water. I've found that it really doesn't take that much longer for the yeast to get started when sprinkled on top of the wine. That's the way I've been doing it ever since.

With a kit and under normal circumstances sprinkling the yeast on top of room temperature must works just fine. As mentioned, it may take up to 72 hours before active fermentation takes off compared to just a few hours for a yeast starter.

I almost always do a yeast starter, anyway. The reason is I want to know for sure my yeast are viable. Nothing like watching it do nothing for sometimes 48 to 72 hours, hoping the yeast really are viable.

I just started my first batch of wine. Everything has sat for 24 hrs and it was time to add yeast. I read you just sprinkle it on top so thats what i did but Im also reading now that you have to mix it with water at 100 degrees or so to activate it. Which one is right in the case of making wine. Is this batch blown already?
Usually the instructions with a kit do NOT suggest a 24 hour wait. Which kit are you making?

BTW, when we say "kit", we usually mean "ingredient kit", not "equipment kit".

Steve

I wonder if the op was waiting for the must to come up to temp before adding yeast?
Good point, but most non-kit instructions recommend adding campden/K-meta and then waiting 24 hours before pitching the yeast. Anyway, that's how I read the original post.

Steve

Back