Cellar Craft Yakima Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLeroy

Reaction score
I am making a Cellar craft international show case Yakima Chardonnay. I followed the directions and added the Kieselsol and chitosan to clear the wine. all is going and looking great. The problem that I have is that I have found in the bag of things that came with the wine a pouch of Kristalblok. I can not find the uses of this in the directions. What is kristalblok? Would this be a mistake in getting this with the kit? I am thinking that it is a clearing agent? Now that I am ready to bottle my wine I am not sure if it is missing anything? Thanks for the help.

Jim, I believe it is meant to reduce the chances of "wine diamonds" or bitartrate crystals which usually form in wines that are chilled to 35-40 degrees, like most whites. It can also form in red wines, but is not as common as those wines are normally held at a "cellar temperature" of 55-60 degrees and served slightly warmer. It should be added to your wine just before bottling or bulk aging.

+1 to what Rocky said. Google it or look for the instructions online. I believe they are still shipping the kits with the old instructions. The new instructions speak to its use. Good Luck!!

Have not heard of Cellar Craft using Kristalblok. Mosti Mondial does though. What everyone else has said is spot on as far as use. Just have not seen in it a CC kit and I just made the same kit 3 months ago and its still bulk aging. I would call George and see if they did start to use it in CC kits as well. This only works for about a year and then it breaks down and the crystals can then form (usually during winter).

Well at the same time I did this kit I made a MM green apple reisling. Maybe it came with that kit? I guess I will have to look into this some more to figure out what kit it came in. Thanks for the help.

Mike have you tried the Chardonnay yet? Just wondering how it taste. I have not tried it. Just finished clearing.

ibglowin said:
Have not heard of Cellar Craft using Kristalblok. Mosti Mondial does though. What everyone else has said is spot on as far as use. Just have not seen in it a CC kit and I just made the same kit 3 months ago and its still bulk aging. I would call George and see if they did start to use it in CC kits as well. This only works for about a year and then it breaks down and the crystals can then form (usually during winter).

You're right Mike. The kit I received the Kristalblok with was a Mosti Mondial Italian Pinot Grigio. Better check with George to see if Mosti is using it in their kits now.

Jim, I think Flem has hit it here. See this site: http://mostimondiale.com/InstructionsLaBodegaOAJMEAJMEG.pdf. It is the updated instructions for Mosti Mondiale dessert winekits. Look particularly at Phase 3 where it talks about adding the Kristalblok.You might also want to put all materials and additives that come with a kit in a Zip Lock bag andlabel it with a permanent marker. If you are making more than one kit at a time, this will avoid confusion.

Thanks Rocky. I have been in too much of a hurry making the wines. With three kids under 6 years old it is hard to keep things where they should be. Thank you all for your help.

Have tried just a small sip. Very nice and crisp for a Chardonnay. The acacia wood imparts a nice texture to the wine. I think it could be drunk now but will hold off for at least a few more months as I try and finish up the last remaining bottles of my first Chardonnay which was the Mosti Renaissance Aussie Chardonnay. It turned out fantastic. Much more traditional Chardonnay profile.

I can't imagine trying to keep it all straight with little ones around. I highly suspect it came from the Mosti kit.

LittleLeroy said:
Thanks Rocky. I have been in too much of a hurry making the wines. With three kids under 6 years old it is hard to keep things where they should be. Thank you all for your help.

Bottled this kit the other day. I am suprised that the last three kits that I have done. 2 CC showcase and a VN Chianti all have labels in them. They may not be the personal labels that I like but they are nice. Better then nothing. Are all kits comming with labels now?

20110619_141022_IMG_3056_Deskto.JPG

Looking good! I am filtering my Yakima Chard today and might bottle this evening if I don't get sidetracked!

I don't have a filter yet. But it is faters day and I have not gotten anything from te kids yet. Well they are under 6 so I am guessing that they will not be giving a wine filter to me. But they may suprise me. Happy fathers day!!!!

Back