WineXpert WV Italian Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and say that I think I finally figured it out. I had made a few VR reds that didn't turn out so hot but after reading a lot more on the forum I tried a WV Italian Pinot Grigio and had a much better feeling about it than the reds. I just opened my first bottle this evening after 2 months bottle aging and it was very good! I was pleasantly surprised actually at how good it was. Maybe the whites are easier to make than the reds or it could be that I just got the degassing thing down. Anyway, thanks for all the help from everyone. I really appreciate it!

Hope you make many more good ones Milwood. The reds take a lot longer than the whites to come into their own and develop their character so patience is the key word with reds

Milwood, in my opinion, the smaller kits (7-10 liters of juice) make a decent to very good white but thin or or weak red wine. If you want to get a good red wine, get a much bigger kit and age it awhile as these bigger kits need much time to age as any good red wine does. In my opinion the bigger white wine kits dont get much better then a mid size white wine kit but they are better and smaller red wines kits dont compare to the bigger 1's. Mosti Mondial has introduced their line of mid range wine kits and have been getting very good reviews so these might be the exception and worth looking into but I have not been satisfied with any other small to mid range red wine kits.

I made the WV Trinity White and I was surprised at how good it was. But I wouldn't expect the same from a red. I'm now trying a couple of Mosti's Vinifera Noble whites. I agree with the above comments. I'll try the midsize whites but for reds, I go for the biggest I can find. That said, I've heard good things about the WV Trinity Red for an everyday table wine but I haven't tried it myself. If I did, I'd prob add some zante currants or raisins and maybe some tannin to it.

I also agree with this, as I have noticed little difference in the white kits. The VR reds are drinkable, but IMO, do not resemble the targeted varietal. I have made the VR merlot and barolo and both have tasted similar and lacked body, flavor, tannins, etc.
I do think there is a slightimprovement in the 10 liter red kits. The Cal Trinity Red was actually very good, and the Australian Shiraz at 18 months istasting pretty good also (wish I had more than a few bottles left). Still no comparison to the 15-16 liter kits, but they are ready sooner, and if you are just starting out, it's nice to have something drinkable. Just don't expect to make a phenominal red out of the smaller kits...have to temper the expectations. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for!

Once you get a good stock of reds, it's much easier to get some age on them, so doing the bigger kits makes more sense. I personally won't go above the 10 liter kits for whites though. It's not worth the extra cost on the whites.

I have made many more whites than the reds and I agree with you all. I would definitely buy the higher end reds. I do have a Stags Leap Merlot that is in the carboy and ready to bottle and with some age on it(and yes I will let this one age) I know it will be great.
I really love the whites, they are fast drinkin and can't keep them in stock around here. My favorites have been Pinot Grigio and Gerwurtztraminer.
Ramona

I also buy high end whites--they are wonderful if you let them age atleast a year, often two years is best. But for everyday drinking, the 10L whites are quite good.

John,
I see you're in Tampa. We lived there for 17 years then retired to TN (most folks retire to FL; we did the opposite).

Jackie,
Been in Tampa for 7 years now. Grew up in Pittsburgh. I miss a lot of things about the north, but Tampa is great. The sun is always shining!

Latest posts

Back