Worried that I did not sanitize properly before primary ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbonness

Junior
Reaction score
I have just started primary fermentation of my first batch of wine from a kit (Vintner's Reserve Merlot).
I used Diversol/Sparklebrite to clean/sanitize my equipment. It was all brand new equipment. All I did was mix the solution into a spray bottle, spray all of the equipment, wait 20 mins, then rinse it off. What I DIDN'T do that I now regret is put all of the solution and equipment into the primary fermenter and let it soak. Also, I didn't do a "pre-rinse" before applying the cleaner/sanitizer.
I hope that makes sense. Do you think this batch will be messed up? It would be nice to know now before I put a bunch more effort into it. Thanks!

I think it will be OK. If you have not already made up a gallon of Sulfite solution then do so now. You will use this to sanitize everything like long spoons carboys, tubing, racking canes. 50gm (sulfite powder) in one gallon water.

You certainly need to put the effort in it.

I read the instructions online and it says soak for 20 minutes. Hopefully your equipment stayed wet several minutes, probably not 20 but I am betting you will be ok.

I wouldn't quit on it now, but keep everything in mind going forward. Over 90% of fermentation failures can be traced to improper cleaning and sanitizing.

As long as you get a strong fermentation going (steady, effervescent bubbling or stronger), I would be confident that any contaminant will be overwhelmed by the yeast. If there is ever a time it is not critical to sanitize, it would be with brand new equipment because it is unlikely to have been contaminated previously.

I only use hot water to sanitize my equipment. I am on my 9th batch and i`ve never had a problem with bacteria\wild yeasts contamination... are all those chemicals really necessary? Seems like a wasted expense to me...

20 minuts soaking is really exaggerated. 2 minutes is more as sufficient.

And remember this: alcohol is a preservative. So alcohol is formed at this stage which will help protect your wine.

Don't worry.

Luc

I only use hot water to sanitize my equipment. I am on my 9th batch and i`ve never had a problem with bacteria\wild yeasts contamination... are all those chemicals really necessary? Seems like a wasted expense to me...

I'm with you. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be clean, but I no longer "sanitize" and I've been fine. Yeah, yeah, I know, people say it's just a matter of time, and maybe they're right. If so, it's not the end of the world, I'll just be more careful.

So, to answer the question on the original post, don't worry about it. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it will be fine.

I'm with you. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be clean, but I no longer "sanitize" and I've been fine. Yeah, yeah, I know, people say it's just a matter of time, and maybe they're right. If so, it's not the end of the world, I'll just be more careful.

So, to answer the question on the original post, don't worry about it. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it will be fine.

First off, hot water does not sanitize!!!! Unless you are saying that you boil your equipment for several minutes.

Do people over re-act on sanitization? yes they probably do but why would you want to "wing it"? And yes it probably is just a matter of time and you will be more careful but have you taken into consideration that once you have a bacteria around your wines, you take the chance of losing all of your wines and then hoping like he11 that you have your area cleaned up enough that nothing in the future will be affected?

So do you guys also eat off of dirty dishes? Sorry don't mean to bust on you but sanitizing is such a small thing to do, I just don't get it when people don't want to do it.

Hmm, not sanitizing is like having surgery with scalpels and such just rinsed in hot water. Risky business indeed.

The time you spend swishing hot water you could just as easily mist with k-meta sanitizing solution or pour from clean bottle to bottle. All the time and effort I spend crafting is worth the k-meta or other sanitizer effort.

Clearly wine makers often over do their cleaning and sanitizing. And clearly under cleaning and sanitizing can lead to off-flavors and other problems. If I'm going to make a mistake I prefer it to be on the safe side. Wasting a years worth of cleaning and sanitizing supplies is a lot cheaper than loosing one batch.

Hmm, not sanitizing is like having surgery with scalpels and such just rinsed in hot water. Risky business indeed.
Huh? If I had 13% alcohol in my blood (which would definitely be over the legal limit!), I would have less concern about the sterilization of the surgical instruments. The irony in that is *alcohol* can be used to sanitize surgical instruments- so, to some extent, fermented wine itself is a sanitizing solution!

I sanitize with k-meta as needed (such as before starting a new wine or working with mulitple batches in one afternoon), but during a single-bucket, active fermentation, for example, I rinse but don't sanitize the spoon I use to stir it up every time I put that spoon into the same bucket (which sits 12 inches away from the bucket in between stirrings).

I was just at a winemaking conference last week where one of the speakers said new (commercial) winemakers usually run into sanitization issues around their 3rd year of production. This is the point where your poor sanitization practices will finally catch up and then rise up and bite you in the ask.

It doesn't take that long to sanitize things properly.

Huh? If I had 13% alcohol in my blood (which would definitely be over the legal limit!), I would have less concern about the sterilization of the surgical instruments. The irony in that is *alcohol* can be used to sanitize surgical instruments- so, to some extent, fermented wine itself is a sanitizing solution!

I sanitize with k-meta as needed (such as before starting a new wine or working with mulitple batches in one afternoon), but during a single-bucket, active fermentation, for example, I rinse but don't sanitize the spoon I use to stir it up every time I put that spoon into the same bucket (which sits 12 inches away from the bucket in between stirrings).

Was just presenting another way to look at it, sheesh--has nothing to do with availability of alcohol when you are just starting, and even when you have fermented that does not always protect you in the long run. Plenty of documented cases where failing to properly clean and sanitize when home fermenting ANYTHING is often the #1 reason for failure, either sooner or later. It is far easier to use proper technique from the get-go than try to establish a new habit years down the road. But, to each their own.

It is always what I worry about the most - cost is not great - mostly elbow grease. I wash and sanitize before use with K-meta, then rinse , wash and k-meta after each use. I was using the pink stuff but my guy at the store said to only use it when I haven't used the equipment in a while or if I didn't sanitize after every use. I use the equipment all the time and if my carboy is sitting for a few weeks - I leave the sanitizing (K-meta) in it. That way I give it a little swish and rinse out and ready to go.

I am new to the forum, but 8 years into wine making.
I too have had questions concerning sterlizing my equipment and bottles.
I was and have been using a 1 step cleaning/b-bright, or sometype of white powdery substance.

I was told to use 1 table spoon per gallon and make contact with the equipment.
I have been told not to rinse off.

So, I first fill my kitchen sink with warm water, use the cleaner and clean the sink.
I let the sink dry and then fill the sink with warm water and cleaner again.
This time I dunk and submerge the equipment in and let air dry.

however on occassion I find that some of the cleaner remains on the equipment in the form of white crystals, and this is when I do a rinse.
The though of bottling wine with some cleaner still on the bottle does not sit right.

However that being said, I have had no issues with my method!

but I am always looking for feedback and tips!

Latest posts

Back