Other World Vineyard Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerdg

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to the whole concept of wine making. I got interested after seeing the results my brother-in-law got. My wife worked with him to put together all the basic components I needed to get started, and I've got my inaugural batch (Pinot Grigio) going now. I did quite a bit of browsing and research knowing my birthday present was on it's way, and I've gotten, at best, a good introductory education on the whole process - I know the juice has an initial sugar content, yeast consumes the sugar and reproduces continuing the consumption converting the sugar content to alcohol until the sugar is depleted or the alcohol content kills the remaining yeast. I know that there are a variety of additives that are part of the process during racking. And I know I'm shooting for a final byproduct of the process that is clear, tastes like wine, and doesn't have a foul odor. So far all has gone as described and expected per the instructions provided in the juice kit. I'm currently in the stabilizing and clearing stage. Most recent racking gave an SG indicating just under 13% alcohol, sample was almost passable in clarity, and I was amazed with the taste and bouquet. I'm about 3 days into the clearing process (14 days per kit instructions) haze has settled about a third the way down carboy and I can see news print through the top third so I suppose all is progressing appropriately. I've been scanning the forum (new today) and I'm seeing topics, direction and input that is far beyond direction and explanation provided with the juice kit. Knowing the juice kits are supposed to be somewhat self sufficient, my question is, is there a sticky, list or thread that might provide a beginners list of checkpoints, benchmarks or things to look out for? Or should I just rely on the juice kit directions and look for answers if I think I have a problem.

First of all Welcome! Secondly it sounds like your well on your way to getting your first kit finished in a little bit. Just keep checking out all the forum has to offer but don't be afraid to ask questions here. This site has been really good at helping new winemakers (without flaming someone for not looking first).

Latest posts

Back