WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a strain of yeast that will guarantee a win! It is top secret. Developed deep in my pantry. Cultured on a loaf of wonder bread. Nutrient plates have been innoculated! Everyone might as well drop out....:re

My three one gallon batches are going into secondary tomorrow. It seems strange working with such tiny batches. My first gallons. They are colorful! Are they supposed to be that color?

:s:m:i

I'm using a strain of yeast that will guarantee a win! It is top secret. Developed deep in my pantry. Cultured on a loaf of wonder bread. Nutrient plates have been innoculated! Everyone might as well drop out....:re

HA! Can it top my secret strain? A two year old sourdough starter. :D

If you guys knew what I was making, you'd laugh your butts off...then back on again! I came in last in the previous contest. No where to go but up! :try

I'm looking forward to putting:
"Seventeenth Place in the WMT (Unofficial) Welches Wine Competition"

Has a nice ring to it.

Dave, are you implying that I didn't take 2nd place or that my medal wasn't pure silver? Maybe just a base metal or a cutout piece of cardboard spray painted silver, is that what I'm hearing....
M

Yes. I mean, no. Maybe. I don't know!

Your strawberry wine was very good, though. Was that what you added to your gift boxes this year?

Yes, it's one of the wines, only leaves me with 8 bottles, think I'll stash them away for a while. I can tell by your hemming and hawing you're still not sure about the whole medalist thing, you got a bronze didn't you?
Mine came with a real "Certificate of Audacity" but a cat or skeeter pee'd on it. Is your's really solid like this one?

silver.jpg

Mine was made of chocolate...so I ate it. :n

My three Welchs are in secondary. They'll sit for ten days...then proceed to stabilize and clear. They look---"interesting".

I have one batch bottled...one in secondary....and one in primary. Will hold a tasting one week before I need to ship the bottle to determine which batch to enter.

It happened AGAIN, I was moving my carboy of Welches Concord by the handle and when I lifted it, it swung to the side and bumped a carboy next to it and SMASH 5 gallon of concord wine all over 3 rooms of my home, Kitchen, Living and Dining and it ran down into my basement and through my heat ducts into my furnace. This is my second broken carboy in 2 months both were Concord. I will post some photos soon. I now plan to go to the better bottle. This time it happened just before my family was to show up for our family Christmas party, when my sister the (Matriarch) got there my wife and I were on our hands and knees cleaning up an horrific mess. Now I have to start a new batch for this contest.

Oh, boy, ouch! I am sorry to hear that, WO4. Frankly, I have never anticipated that kind of thing while hoisting carboys in close quarters. I will try to learn from your misfortune instead of making my own bad luck.

JohnT wasn't there "helping," was he? ;)

Not trying to make you feel worse or anything, but you should probably never lift a carboy by just the handle. I recall someone posting that they had one or two carboys break at the neck when using just the carboy carrier.

One thing I have done is putting most of my carboys in plastic milk crate carriers. That way when I do clunk them it is plastic against plastic.

It really does suck to lose a batch to something like this.

Latest posts

Back