RJ Spagnols Winery Series Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
Hi all -

Has anyone started the Meritage kit yet? Just curious on first impressions. I am torn between this kit and the CC Cabernet Merlot. Both sound great.

Thanks,

Pete

I just started it when it was released last November. I won't be able to give you an opinion until at least the last 1/2 of 2011. It smelled nice, and I have great hopes that this will be close to many of my favorite meritages out there (Delille Cellars D2! and Mission Hill Oculus)

If you like red blends, you will likely be very pleased with any meritage.

I have one going right now in the carboy that was started just a couple weeks ago. Smelled really good in the primary andI have hopes that this one will turm out well.

I just received the kit, my first RJ kit.....question...do you use the 2 oak chippacks and the oak spiral all in the primary, or is the spiral used in the carboy during bulk aging? Can't wait to get the kit going!

Thanks,
marc

the spiral is in the primary and gets transferred to secondary as well. The oak chip packs are for the primary only.

Thank you very much Dean, I'm still in that stage of if the directions don't state something in black and white I second guess the steps. Have you kept the spiral in the secondary the whole time you have been aging?

No, spirals can easily over oak the wine. I kept in secondary until it was time to degas, and stabilize. Then I kept it for 2 more weeks and took it out. I'll check taste in 6 or 7 months and determine if it needs more.

Thanks again Dean! I got the kit going yesterday and it's starting to smell great!

Latest posts

Back