Winemaking Tool Box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve said:
They make an excellent snack while sipping on a glass of wine!!!
smiley9.gif

But which wine? A white or a red?
smiley33.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Red-Cruchy Bugs (roaches, bettles, ect.)

White-Soft Bugs (flies, moths, ect.)

Steve said:
Red-Cruchy Bugs (roaches, bettles, ect.)

White-Soft Bugs (flies, moths, ect.)

Guess that pretty well sums it up and is totally sensible. "Nuff" said

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Here is a question for making wine Why do some what the lid on the primary fermenter with airlock and some wan the lid off but covered to let oxygen in from the air. But i inderstand only for the first ferment.Edited by: OldWino

OldWino said:
Here is a question for making wine Why do some want the lid on the primary fermenter with airlock and some want the lid off but covered to let oxygen in from the air. But i understand only for the first ferment.

I am not sure I have been wondering the same thing myself. Everything I have read says no airlock while in the primary.

Any body know why? Is it a trade secret?Edited by: Steve

Steve said:
OldWino said:
Here is a question for making wine Why do some want the lid on the primary fermenter with airlock and some want the lid off but covered to let oxygen in from the air. But i understand only for the first ferment.

I am not sure I have been wondering the same thing myself. Everything I have read says no airlock while in the primary.

Any body know why? Is it a trade secret?

The thought behind it is so the yeast have oxygen to multiply and do their thing. The airlock will prohibit fresh oxygen from entering the container and CO2 will form a blanket over the surface of the liquid. This in theory will not allow the yeast to grow and do their thing.

Now, does everyone do this? No, I normally place an airlock in my primary and have never had a bad batch yet but I have left it out and threw a towel over the hole a few times.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

The old school of thought before drill mounted stirrers was the leave the primary open to the air so the yeast could get enough oxygen.

Stirring your must with a drill mounted stirrer adds plenty of oxygen for the yeast to multiply and then get to work and convert sugar to ethanol and CO2 and I have made almost all my wine, beer and mead this way.

130 successful batches and counting with covering and air locking primary fermenter!

So, when you do your initial mix of the must you use the fizz-x (or something similar), pitch your yeast 24 hours later, then put the top on with an air lock?

Do you mix the must again before you pitch the yeast?

Do you seal the top or just sit the lid on?

Edited by: Steve

Steve said:
So, when you do your initial mix of the must you use the fizz-x (or something similar), pitch your yeast 24 hours later, then put the top on with an air lock?

No. I just stir with an old-fashioned long-handle stirring spoon. I think the fizz-ex (or in my case, the wine-whip (btw, totally useless)) would make more of the must go outside the primary than stay in there. But yes, you can pitch your yeast and put the top on with the airlock.

Do you mix the must again before you pitch the yeast?

That's a matter of how you feel that particular day. It's not critical. It'd be more critical (in my opinion) about 24 hours after you pitch the yeast. At least that's how I do it. My theory is: Sprinkle on top, let the yeasties get used to their new home. Let them sit there for 24 hours. Then stir them in, and let them do their thing. Of course, this is for scratch wines. For kit wines, follow the directions.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Do you seal the top or just sit the lid on?

I seal it. Otherwise, the function of the airlock is not being used, since the air/CO2 escapes the primary.

The way I see it, it really doesn't matter what you do, how you do it. I have been known to mix up a "liquid must" (i.e. one without fruit) right to the 6-gallon carboy, leaving about 1/2 gallon - 3/4 gallon space at the top, with an airlock. It's enough O2 for them generally. When I'm ready to transfer "out of the primary", I can downgrade to a 5 gallon carboy. I've had no problems.

Hope this helps!

smiley1.gif

And then there's folks like us who just cover the primary with a dish towel and string/rubber band dohickey and set the cover on top (mostly to keep the cats out).
smiley36.gif

masta said:
The old school of thought before drill mounted stirrers was the leave the primary open to the air so the yeast could get enough oxygen.

Stirring your must with a drill mounted stirrer adds plenty of oxygen for the yeast to multiply and then get to work and convert sugar to ethanol and CO2 and I have made almost all my wine, beer and mead this way.

130 successful batches and counting with covering and air locking primary fermenter!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that
smiley36.gif
I use the drill mounted stirrers

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back