Winemaking Bible?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantom

Reaction score
I was looking for good suggestions about the hobby and I haven't really found anything that's stuck out as a "bible" like Papizan's "The Joy of Homebrewing" is to beer making. Is there anything like that for winemakers? I've been doing winemaking for several years and have a few dozen kits under my belt, so I'm just looking for some interesting reading and hopefully learn a few things. I'm not in a position to go whole hog and do the backyard vineyard, but it something that might be "fun" later in life.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If it's something George stocks, then that would be a plus too.

This is a good read and written by one of our own members!
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">7357 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2824_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Techniques in Home Winemaking</td></tr></t></table>

The book Wade suggested is very good I have used it for reference on several occasions.AL

Also the book The Winemaker's Answer Book - By Alison Crowe is very good.AL

Phantom - I have looked at a number of books and have been struck that there is not one "Bible" of home winemaking(a book waiting to be written!) - I have picked up bits of knowledge from here and there although it has been an enjoyable journey!. If you are interested in country fruit wines, I was somewhat surprised to find that the best single source (IMO) was not a book but is Jack Keller's web site. It is listedon George's resource page which Igivea plug to below.............I actually printed much of it out and putinto a 3-ring binder with dividers.

http://www.finevinewines.com/home-wine-making-supply.htm

Wayne

Jack Keller is a staple on this hobby and you can find a recipe for just about anything there but watch the starting sg's with his recipes as they are typically very high.

And for any of you that had noticed that Jack Keller's sites were gone for a week or so, you will be glad to know that they are back! His service provider changed hands and lost his information in the great vast world of the web.

The best winemaking book I have read is From Vines To Wines by Jeff Cox. That and the Winemakers Answer Book covers about everything I ever wanted to know.

<TABLE =maintable border=2 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#000000 cellPadding=5 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Item Number</TD>
<TD>7358</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Description</TD>
<TD>

From Vines to Wines - The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine by Jeff Cox, 256 pp.

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$19.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Picture</TD>
<TD>
2804_sm.gif
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE =maintable border=2 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#000000 cellPadding=5 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Item Number</TD>
<TD>7789</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Description</TD>
<TD>

The Winemaker's Answer Book - By Alison Crowe

Published by WineMaker Magazine

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Current Price</TD>