Wine turning black

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
I racked my batch of Blueberry chancellor today (40 lbs blueberries and 70 lbs chancellor grapes pre 12 gallon batch) today and noticed during cleanup that as soon as any water contacted the wine it would turn almost black. Almost like I could see it instantly oxidize right before my eyes. I have not nor am I planing on adding any water to the wine so it may not be a big deal but I'm wandering if this is normal? Has anyone seen this before? I did not check the acid before pitching the yeast but I assume it was high since the PH was 3.2 right out of the press.

Could it be something is wrong with your water, maybe you have a high iron content or something unusual interacting with your wine. Maybe mix a little distilled and see if you get the same thing happen or not. Could just be a pH change when your wine hits the water? WVMJ

It's posable, this area does have high iron water. Ours is well water that is ran through a softener.
It's just odd that I have not seen this before but then again I make mostly fruit wines and not big reds.
I could care less if it is a water issue as long as the wine will be ok.

Duster, I have seen a similar phenomena when I clean up but I always attributed it to the Oxyclean. I have not seen it with plain water. There might be a clue in the ingredients of OxyClean and what may be in your water.

Thanks Dan, I knew someone hear would have run across this before

What is really awesome is when I flush out my cartridge filter until it is completely clear. Then I run water with oxy-clean through it and the water comes out black for a gallon or two.

Duster, is it just plain tap water that is making it change or is there some cleaner invovled? Its not really clear in your first post if its just your water or cleaner or you dumped cleaner in the sink and then some water and wine? WVMJ

I racked my batch of Blueberry chancellor today (40 lbs blueberries and 70 lbs chancellor grapes pre 12 gallon batch) today and noticed during cleanup that as soon as any water contacted the wine it would turn almost black. Almost like I could see it instantly oxidize right before my eyes. I have not nor am I planing on adding any water to the wine so it may not be a big deal but I'm wandering if this is normal? Has anyone seen this before? I did not check the acid before pitching the yeast but I assume it was high since the PH was 3.2 right out of the press.

Just plain tap water. It is exactly like the video that greaginND posted that grapeman referenced.
I think we got this one figured out. Now that I feel assured the wine is fine it's just plain cool!

Ok even cooler
After 3 weeks of cold crashing at 40*F it don't change colors any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making App

Latest posts

Back