Wine Tasting Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
I am interested in starting a wine tasting club with local friends and family. My idea is everyone BYOB and we sample a number of them, depending on how many people show up, and then discuss the wine(s). I have no problems supplying the glasses and light snacks for the gathering. I have a location that we can do this at or different people could offer to host at their homes. I am thinking this is a during the week type of event and only for 2 hours so as to not encourage drinking as opposed to a tasting event.

Has anyone else formed such a group? Any advice?

Thanks.

Suggestions:

It is not safe nor reasonable to sample more than about 5 different wines in one setting unless you are willing to taste and spit. Since most are not willing to spit, I would suggest choosing only 5 of the guests to bring the wines, with maybe one backup, in case someone does not show up.

Change up the taste periodically. Have a blind "guess the wine type" night and give a prize. It is surprising how hard this really is.
Have a blind tasting night with a vote on best wine.
Have a night when you taste only two types of wine with 2 different brands of each, say 2 Cabs and a 2 Syrahs. Taste the Cab #1, then Syrah #1; next taste Cab #2 then Syrah #2. Use it to help people learn to recognize the differences in taste of the two varietals. (Some times it is hard to know the differences, that's why you need more than one brand of each.) Next time switch to two different varietals.
Have a night when you taste only blends.
Have a comparative tasting, where, as an example, you have a sweet wine. First you taste something very, very sweet but neutral in taste. This will overwhelm your paste buds, so that when you immediately taste the sweet wine, you will not be able to taste the sweetness in the wine. This will give each person an idea of what that particular wine would taste like if it were not sweet.
You can do the same thing with tartaric acid, oak, alcohol, tannins. For the alcohol, use plain vodka (It has almost no taste but alcohol, anyway) diluted 50% with water, so it will taste sweet, not be hot. Boil some oak chips for the oak and strain it, Mix up some tannin powder in water and strain it. It is interesting how a wine tastes if your taste buds are overwhelmed so you can't taste the acid in a wine. Same for the other ingredients. This is an easy way to determine how a particular oaked wine would taste if it were not oaked.

Last edited:
Well actually we just started a wine lovers group at out local home brew store. We meet there once a month and we take turn bringing snacks and we all bring in our wines for others to taste and we talk about making wine and other wine topics like in the other post. We do it for fun they are all a great group of people and we have had a wine dinner at one of the ladies house and that was very nice. This also give people a chance to try other wine that they have never had and might be afraid to try in case they did not like it without buying a bottle that may go down the drain. It has been a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back