Wine Sweetening?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
Carlo Rossi makes a 4 liter jug of Sangria that I can buy for $10. I'm not crazy about it overall, but it does have the sweetness level that I'd like to achieve in most of my winemaking attempts, plus I get a gallon+ jug out of the deal. And, with only 10% ABV I can drink up a jug reasonably quickly, if it's cold enough. I know... You don't have to say it ;) What I'm wondering is... Is there a way to use the hydrometer to test this wine for its sugar level, then use this information to make my wines somewhat equivalent in sweetness? Or will I just have to go by taste and use patience as each different batch ages? I don't mind semi-dry wines, and I do recognize the appeal of dry wines but for my own tastes, sweet or semi-sweet is preferable. Just wondering if that hydrometer can serve other purposes than indicating when the must is done fermenting. Thanks!!

Absolutely. That hydrometer will indicate a certain level of sweetness that you can target. It's all relative though, as levels of different acids, etc can impact your perception of that sweetness. So, while the SG will get you in the ballpark, what you end up deciding is "right" could be different from wine to wine.

Xandra said:
Carlo Rossi makes a 4 liter jug of Sangria that I can buy for $10. I'm not crazy about it overall, but it does have the sweetness level that I'd like to achieve in most of my winemaking attempts, plus I get a gallon+ jug out of the deal. And, with only 10% ABV I can drink up a jug reasonably quickly, if it's cold enough. I know... You don't have to say it ;) What I'm wondering is... Is there a way to use the hydrometer to test this wine for its sugar level, then use this information to make my wines somewhat equivalent in sweetness? Or will I just have to go by taste and use patience as each different batch ages? I don't mind semi-dry wines, and I do recognize the appeal of dry wines but for my own tastes, sweet or semi-sweet is preferable. Just wondering if that hydrometer can serve other purposes than indicating when the must is done fermenting. Thanks!!

A few factors to consider. Level 46 (1.046) is equal to one pound of sugar per one gallon of wine. I would also consider measuring Ph as well. I like to think these two factors are the major players in "balance" of wine. The last factor is starting SG of 1.092 which is a stable level of alcohol of 12.3%. Balance your Ph and sugar levels to taste and you can create the wine of your dreams.

My friend who started me on this wine making stuff 8 months ago uses what can be called the taste or seat of the pants method. At bottling time he removes and sets aside a liter or so of wine and starts adding and stirring in sugar to the batch taste testing as he goes. The set aside wine is there to add at the end to fine tune the sweetness - adding just that wine to the batch or adding it and adding just a bit more sugar. I don't think he takes notes (I need to ask him) but just uses his taste and decades of experience telling him what he likes and what some time in the bottle will yield.

My friend who started me on this wine making stuff 8 months ago uses what can be called the taste or seat of the pants method. At bottling time he removes and sets aside a liter or so of wine and starts adding and stirring in sugar to the batch taste testing as he goes. The set aside wine is there to add at the end to fine tune the sweetness - adding just that wine to the batch or adding it and adding just a bit more sugar. I don't think he takes notes (I need to ask him) but just uses his taste and decades of experience telling him what he likes and what some time in the bottle will yield.

If you do sweeten this way, you can get the sugar where you want it for your individual batches of wine. Now use your hydrometer to measure where it is at and you can bring your whole batch up to the same s.g. Make sure you stabalize first or you will probably get a referment. Also, I mite suggest after sampling and getting the s.g. where you want it to set it back for a day and see if it tastes like you like it the next day. Sometimes after several samples the taste buds get to liking it no matter what. Arne.

Remember, sweetness builds up over time, so if you find that 1.05 is right, make the wine 1.03. It tastes sweeter over time.

Latest posts

Back