wine store is closed all i have is bread yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Junior
Reaction score
any one ever used bread yeast? I am going to start a batch of "bottled juice" wine and all i have is bread yeast. any one ever use this?

any one ever used bread yeast? I am going to start a batch of "bottled juice" wine and all i have is bread yeast. any one ever use this?
The difference between yeasts is called flocculation. This is how they do their job and fall out of suspension. The flocculation process also determines the flavor esters left behind. So wine yeasts have a high flocculation rate and leave more of the esters of the fruit behind than their own. Beer yeasts flocculate at a much slower rate than wine yeast and therefore leave more of themselves behind flavoring the beer ale yeasts more so than lager yeasts. Bread yeasts do not flocculate hardly at all and make the flavor of the bread. Wait for wine yeast.

If you take "Beano" before, there shouldn't be any flocculation!:)
In all seriousness it will work, but like was just said, just wait, must can wait for several days if its not to hot, keep it cool, and wait to getthe proper yeast.

I have a thread in here somewhere where I made bread with Montrachet wine yeast, it works both ways, but I Say wait.

IMO for "bottled wine juice". I would suggest RED STAR Cotes de Blanc. I really like this yeast, has never failed for most wines, including, concentrated frozen jices.

Wade suggested this yeast to me a long time ago.

If you are trying to go for max alcohol and fuel a rocket ship, usee Red Star Premier Cuvee, or Champagne yeast, they can handle a higher alcohol before it dies, but the higher the alcohol, the least your taste, fly to the moon, or fal on the pad? LMAO.

Last edited:
If you MUST use bread yeast try making a JAOM. It is a quick mead recipe designed to use bread yeast... In fact the recipe works best and the warranty is broken if you do not use it.

However, if you are only wanting alcohol and dont really care about the taste.. Ie hooch and not wine.. you can use bread yeast and I have heard of that stuff reaching 12% abv. .However, if you intend to make something wonderful I also recommend you use wine yeast.

thanks Seth I am new to making wine I only have two batches under my belt both have turned out well. I had my wine making stuff out while I was back sweetening a batch and getting it ready for bottles. We picked up two bottles of this juice from Costco. I like it as juice and thought I wonder how it would be as wine. Well here is what I did.

1 gal juice ($4)
simple syrup to 1.085 (had made up to back sweeten)
1 tsp bread yeast (had in the cupboard)
mixed every thing up and placed in two large wine bottles with airlocks and placed in the cupboard. It's bubbling away!

Worst case it tastes like A$$ and I am out $4
I am hoping that it won't taste too bad and I can rack it a couple times. maybe bottle mid to late winter when I bottle this years blackberry batch that will get made in august.

Well, at the least you got alcohol to drink lol, at the best your gona have something awesome. However, I HIGHLY recommend getting some wine yeast. If you must use bread yeast find yourself some recipies that are designed specially for it.

Also, your losses might be higher than you expect from racking, but what the hell, its only 4 dollars.

You could be brave, hope there is not too much preservative in the juice. Add two camden tablets and let the wild yeasts have a go.

It took off and has been bubbling away. I would never think of using bread yeast in a 5gal batch. Unless the recipe called for it. I hope to bottle two bottles of wine from this batch. I would be happy with that.

You could be brave, hope there is not too much preservative in the juice. Add two camden tablets and let the wild yeasts have a go.
If you were planning on letting the wild yeast go, why would you add Campden?

Why use Campden ? That's the rub. Wild yeasts contain any number of species, including the favoured wine yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae . You can eliminate some ( most? ) of the off characters associated with wild yeast by knocking the more sulphur susceptible ones on the head early, leaving the more robust and desirable wild yeasts to complete the ferment. I'm up Glacier National Park in a few weeks, are there any good wineries you can recommend me visit ?

The issue you are apt to run into is that the campden would may not leave enough viable wild yeast left over for your must to start fermenting. Also, wild yeast are notoriously unpredictable.

I have the feeling that the wild yeast that lives in abundance in my kitchen woul be of the bread verity. Because we bake a lot of bread.

I have the feeling that the wild yeast that lives in abundance in my kitchen woul be of the bread verity. Because we bake a lot of bread.

If you do bake a lot of bread and of course use a lot of bread yeast, you are right in saying they will be the predominant wild yeast in your kitchen.

Yes, wild yeasts are notoriously unpredictable. Especially in a once-off ferment. Over time, with similar ferments in the same environment consistency can be achieved.

Back