wine sedment on top

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juventude

Reaction score
last year I made a pirckly pear wine as per recepie below:

• Prickly pear – 5 Kg.
• Mixed raisins – 1 packet.
• Water – 2 liters.
• Sugar – 1.5 Kg.
• Citric acid – 3 tea spoons.
• Pectic enzyme – 2 tea spoons.
• Nutriment – 25 grams.
• Campden tablet – 1.
• High alcohol yeast – 1 sachet.

This recipe was originally intended for a 5 gal, and therefore I done the conversions for 1 gal but I forgot to convert the campden tablet which should be added the first thing to eliminate natural yeast…

And by a newbie mistake I added a total of 5 tablets to the gal. This refused to start fermentation obviously and I had to add a further 2.5mg of yeast and wait about 1 week in order for it to start…

In the end it started up fine and process went smoothly and almost cleared out after 2 rackings….. ALMOST cause that is my problem, in the top it formed a sediment disk in winter time which now seems to melt a little down but still is present even after racking and only in the surface ….

If anyone might know, PLEASE help out on this task as I definitely don’t know what it is, apart from the campden tablet mistake I followed to rule the recipe, also cannot quote any readings from Hydrometer cause at that time I didn’t had one. I am sending a couple of pics for reference.

Untitled.jpg

I have this same problem. I have a apple wine i made from fresh fruit that is ready to rack. I have a ton of sediment in the bottom and also a ring at the top and even a glob floating around. in the center of my jug the wine looks great. Im just at a loss on how to rack it without losing a lot of wine or picking up a lot of sediment. Hopefully we can get some advice from someone.

If you have sediment on top you either syill have a slight fermentation going on like malolactic or you are not degassed properly, most likely the later!.

Back