Wine Making is Called "Vinting"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started making wine, I called is "brewing." Several on WMT pointed out that "brewing" refers to heating/steeping such as in brewing tea or coffee, or making the wort for beer. Since that time I have been looking for a better verb to describe the wine making process. "Fermenting" is too broad, as that would include making pickles and sauerkraut.

Today I discovered that "vint" is a real word: Definition of VINT The verb means to "make wine from fruit." The noun, with a completely different etymology, refers to a Russian card game.

"Vint" is probably formed from "vintage," which comes from the Latin word vīnum meaning "wine." https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vint#English
So we are "vintners" who are engaged in "vinting." Now I need to get ready to "vint" some more wine.

Making decent wine is the object. If someone asks me how I make wine, I don't think they're bothered whether I call the process vinting, brewing, or wine-making. They just want to know how I make it.

Correct or not? I don't think there would be as many Forum members if it was called 'Vinting Talk.'
What's in a name?

Correct or not? I don't think there would be as many Forum members if it was called 'Vinting Talk.'
What's in a name?
Having helped a number of folks transition from beer making into winemaking, IMO the naming matters.

Terminology affects mindset. "Brewing" indicates boiling, which is required in beer making but is the exactly wrong thing to do in winemaking. As a beer maker myself, trying to apply the concepts of one to the other is a recipe for disaster. Using proper terminology helps avoid failures.

Consider that we have folks ask about using "sulfate" in wine, meaning sulfite. This gets corrected immediately because sulfite and sulfate are completely different compounds.

Using the correct term avoids problems. While I agree with @Raptor99 that using "vinting" makes things crystal clear ... "winemaking" is not likely to be replaced as the common term.

Using the correct term avoids problems. While I agree with @Raptor99 that using "vinting" makes things crystal clear ... "winemaking" is not likely to be replaced as the common term.
Fair enough, though I still think that people who don't make wine, wouldn't know what you were talking about if you said you were Vinting. Still, it takes all sorts.

There's an old saying in Yorkshire, where I was born. 'There's nowt so queer as folk' I'm probably one of them!:D

Vintners in my travels pertains to the wine grape growing, however looking up the word in every major dictionary, it means “a person who makes wine”. The term “wine maker” is generally know to mean the folks involved in turning the grape into wine. We in this hobby of ours are in fact “vintners”. 👍😀🍷

Latest posts

Back