Wine making from steam juiced pears... ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I aquired a new steam juicer and because all of my fruit did outstanding this year have been juicing away.. Now I normally always did wine from whole fruits... And have no idea what or how to proceed now that I have pear juice concentrate .. How much do I use per gallon .. any good recipes I can fallow ? Any pointers..
my 3 primary's are full with plum brandy, plum wine & plum port.. done the old fashion way...
My Concord grapes are almost to the peak of perfection, so I will need to pick them soon.. I do want to steam juice them also, as I have a XL koi pond that needs winterizing and bulbs to dig Etc etc etc..I want to start my concord once all my other stuff is finished but that will be awhile..Thus the steam juicer and Canning into jar so I can get back to My wine making a little later into fall..

You would treat the pear juice just as grape juice. Check the gravity, aiming for a 1.080-1.092 would be good.

Pectic enzyme, nutrients then yeast to ferment etc.

I wouldn't add any water unless its too high in sugar. You may even freeze the juice if you have too much now.

I have done a straight pear wine which was fantastic and even blended apples and pears to make a sweeter apple wine.

Lalvin EC-1118 would be a good yeast.

I agree with Steve, use straight juice. Pear juice is pretty thin, the flavor is not very strong, but the wine from pure juice is great. Arne.

I have been checking the juice for sugar content as it comes out of the juicer. It will be very steady for a while then drop very quickly. As soon as that happens is when I dump the used up fruit and start a new batch.

RR

my 3 primary's are full with plum brandy, plum wine & plum port.. done the old fashion way...

It looks like you enjoy fortified wines as much as I do, would you mind sharing your recipe for the plum brandy and what do you do differently between the plum brandy and the plum port?

It looks like you enjoy fortified wines as much as I do, would you mind sharing your recipe for the plum brandy and what do you do differently between the plum brandy and the plum port?
1st credit where credit is due.
I found this recipe on rochesterwinemakers.org
Fruit Brandy
Makes 3-4 Gallons : 3 quarts ;6lbs. crushed fruit including juice from
8-9 lbs sugar
3 gallons water (1 warm 2 room temp )
2 thinly sliced lemons
2 thinly sliced oranges
1/3 yeast cake or 1 pkg Fleishman's bread yeast
4lbs golden raisens ( must be golden)
Add fruit , warm water & sugar stir until dissolved add room temp water. Check SG should be 1.95 or higher... add lemons , oranges & yeast...Stir & cover with towel or cheese cloth.
Stir everyday for the next 7 days On day 8 add Raisens. Cover for 21 days. DO NOT MOVE OR DISTURB THE MIX DURING THIS TIME.
On the 28th day, strain out the raisens and rack into carboyd with airlock for clearing. After a week or two when clear, rack & bottle.

I hope it turns out well day 28 will be Oct 2nd for mine..I'm wondering if it will need a stabalizer ?

I have been checking the juice for sugar content as it comes out of the juicer. It will be very steady for a while then drop very quickly. As soon as that happens is when I dump the used up fruit and start a new batch.

RR

I've been taking the 1st 2 quarts for wine use and marking remainder as juice for the grand baby.. That way she gets to have a glass of her very own style wine with grandma..Makes for a very happy little clam..

Latest posts

Back