Wine making fiasco today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
Hi all,
Was working on my WE Chocolate raspberry desert wine today and things got touchy.
The wine started 6 days ago at 1.128 SG the instructions say to chapitalize the wine with the supplied 350 gram dextrose package included when the wine gets below 1.020 , it was at 1.015 this morning. The included package was actually 400 grams (must have changed the recipe?) it says to dissolve the sugar in hot water in a heat proof container. 4 cup "pyrex" should do, I microwave the water to get hot and add the sugar, not dissolving so i put it on the stove and work it a but, so far so good, now I need to cool it a bit before adding to my wine, I put it in the sink with cold water and proceed to clean up. all of a sudden I hear a loud "tink" the measuring cup shattered, after a bit of esearch I find it was not "pyrex" like my wife claimed after all.
Now what to do? I have a bag of dextrose left over from another project so I throw it on the scale, 406 grams, minus 13 grams for the quart ziplock= 393 grams, close enough, this time I mix in a small saucepan on the stove, sugar dissolved nice and clear, put it in the sink to cool, claen up a bit and notice the clock, I have to leave for work in 15 minutes and still have to pack lunch.
I can't wait for the sugar to cool any more, I add it to the wine as is (hope the volume cools it enough that it doesn't hurt the yeast.
Do a gravity check, now 1.028, the kit says chapitalization should raise it 10 to 15 points, it raised 13 so that part is right, hopefully I will see some fermentation activity when I get home tonight, fingers crossed.

It should work out just fine for you. Let us know how it goes. Bet it doesn't ferment much, tho. It will probably kill the yeast off with alcohol and leave some residul sugar for a sweet wine. Arne.

Latest posts

Back