Wine log?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewtrax it is. How would it be on a small screen? I am thinking it would be great on my tablet but not if its constant scrolling. The label feature looks nice too.

Amphora looks good too but seems to be for the bigger operations.

The best of all that I did for keeping everything in one place is I created a spreadsheet on my computer. Across the top was the date first, size then everything that one would add during the making of wine, and in order of it's addition (k-meta, pectic enzyme, nutrients, tannin etc).

Down the left side I would enter what type of wine making. I didn't backtrack and enter info. I just added it as I did from that day. (too much to try to fill in). Once it was thru fermenting I copied the row and moved it down to the clearing section, then down to aging so all wines fermenting were together for a quick over view.

It works great but again it's only as good as the info. you put in.

Doesn't matter what system you use as long as you can recall/review what you have done to date.

Had I the knowledge I think what would really be simple would be to create sku bars for everything and amounts, Use a scanning gun and scan you data in. You could have a sheet on the wall with all your chemicals and amounts, simply take your scanning gun and scan what you are doing and for each wine it would have it's own bar code.

That might be the answer.

I actually have 1 or 2 scanners so maybe I could use both? Great idea. I just need 1 place to have everything in there and brewtrax looks like it would do the job nicely. It should be quick to enter and fun to use (or else it won't get done).

I am a fan of excel but I can't seeing that being fun or have as much in it. For $30 it looks like it's worth it. If not it will just be an experiment.... Better start off doing things correctly now instead of going crazy which the notebook is doing to me.

What would be really cool would be if Brewtrax would create bar codes for each of your wines and you could print them for each bottle. Then tie it into your inventory system so you go to the cellar, grab a bottle of Cab Franc and scan it out and have it automaticly removed from your inventory. Then then you could set thresholds in the software so it alerts you when you need to bottle more Franc or start making more. BRILIANT! =)

I'm sure they could do that. It's not that hard to do. But will your cellar be near a PC and on when you grab that bottle?
Great idea I hope they are reading this!

My cellar is on the other side of the wall from my home automation system which has a Windows server running 24x7. So I could wire a hand held or wall mounted scanner on the wall by the door and just scan it out as I walk out.

If you have a bar code font just use that as part of your label. I have a font if you want it? I am guessing that a bottle toes back to the batch number?

I just purchased brewtrax and started to poke around. Wade since you use it how come finevine isn't in the supplier database?
Time to enter my notebook into there.

I just havent had the time to go through it much with that stuff. Heck, I havent even entered all my wine!

Someone added Toy Store today!?
I am almost done adding all mine in there. Much easier when it's only 6. That's why I wanted to get a start on it now. So far I really like the program. I put it on my 14" laptop. I think it would be better (less scrolling) on a larger screen.
Glad I didn't put it on the tablet. It would be nice but when the keyboard pops on the screen there wouldn't much left. Might try it and see.

Couple things I think they should add - temperature readings, and SG readings with temp correction and calendar events linked to a batch. Right now I have calendar events - Rack chianti. What if I had 2 chianti's going? Maybe this stuff is in there but I didn't really RTFM.

Guess I'm old fashioned - I think I'll just stick to my notebook and my roll of masking tape. Inventory? I pretty well know what I've got and if I happen to lose a bottle or two for a year, hey, that's good!

Couple things I think they should add - temperature readings, and SG readings with temp correction and calendar events linked to a batch. Right now I have calendar events - Rack chianti. What if I had 2 chianti's going? Maybe this stuff is in there but I didn't really RTFM.

Hi Rob... sorry I have only just stumbled on this thread :d

All of those suggestions are in the next release (2-3 weeks time) ;)
There will be a fair bit in addition to that too but I will probably start a new thread ASAP so everyone using BrewTrax can see what's coming.

Hi Rob... sorry I have only just stumbled on this thread :d

All of those suggestions are in the next release (2-3 weeks time) ;)
There will be a fair bit in addition to that too but I will probably start a new thread ASAP so everyone using BrewTrax can see what's coming.

That's great news! Can't wait to see it!

If you need a beta tester let me know. As long as my data doesn't get corrupted then I'd be happy to help out. I do beta testing now for some companies (Microsoft, Trend Micro).

Thanks for the offer of beta testing Rob. You are now on my list :h
You data would be certainly safe. The built in backup functions will allow you to roll back to the previous version and database quickly enough.
To be honest we wouldn't release it to beta testers unless it had gone through very thorough testing here anyway as we wouldn't want it to mess our own brewing data up (we all use it here for our own brew logging too of course!).
Will be in touch :h

What would be really cool would be if Brewtrax would create bar codes for each of your wines and you could print them for each bottle. Then tie it into your inventory system so you go to the cellar, grab a bottle of Cab Franc and scan it out and have it automaticly removed from your inventory. Then then you could set thresholds in the software so it alerts you when you need to bottle more Franc or start making more. BRILIANT! =)

I'm sure they could do that. It's not that hard to do. But will your cellar be near a PC and on when you grab that bottle?
Great idea I hope they are reading this!

Just to say that the whole barcoding/stock/automation is on our "list". I also write and customise EPoS and stock management systems and do a fair bit with barcoding, scanners, inventory control so we will be going that direction with BrewTrax. It's a little way off to be honest but in the meantime as Rob says you could easily add a barcode to your bottle label in BrewTrax. All you need is free barcode font. We might even be able to upload some templates to the software to start you off.

Stuart, this is just looking awesome. I feel that if you introduced that barcode stuff this freaking software would just explode. Scan your bottle on the way out and eventually it tells you to start another batch of that particular wine!!!!

Stuart, this is just looking awesome. I feel that if you introduced that barcode stuff this freaking software would just explode. Scan your bottle on the way out and eventually it tells you to start another batch of that particular wine!!!!

Version 7 will auto order the supplies or kit used to make it if it has a rating high enough to support another batch.
Version 3 will hook up to your batches to record testing levels.
Version 8 will then trigger automated racking and degassing and dispensing equipment.

Until then, I love using version 1.1 and am looking forward to the next release.
Only other request is the ability to share data on 2 computers. Main entry on 1 pc, then the tablet for entering data.
Brewtrax cloud edition!

BrewTrax will already give you useful info on the "Dashboard" which gives you an immediate glance on what you have low stock of etc so you can make decisions about starting new batches really easily right now. THe automated route would be a nice add on but I suspect will be overkill for a lot of people. Maybe a "BrewTrax Pro" version would be the way to go as I know a lot of people like to keep things simple. :i

Until then, I love using version 1.1 and am looking forward to the next release.Brewtrax cloud edition!

You've hit the nail on the head Rob. v1.1 seems to be a big hit so far so we're not looking at complicating things too much right now. Better to have software that is fast, reliable and does the main brewing functionas that an all signing all dancing application that over complcates things.

Only other request is the ability to share data on 2 computers. Main entry on 1 pc, then the tablet for entering data.

Noted!

BTW I picked up BrewTrax this weekend. I have to say I'm a big fan. I can't wait to see the upcoming revsions... Unfortunatly I'll be using the function for loss of a batch... Reason for not finished is clear in my other post: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12422

Gald you are getting on well with it! Gutted though that you had to use it to log a smashed wine batch. Every home-brewers nightmare :re

Back