Wine labels... and removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I like the idea of adding a printed label to each bottle, but I don't want to have a major hassle getting it back off to reuse the bottle. Has anyone got any experience with this?

If you use the Avery shipping labels (their item 8164) they come off fairly easily with a little soaking in hot water.

That's pretty much what I do... I use a smaller Avery label that is adequate to cover the information (Variety and Vintage). They come off with very little effort.

Avery also makes a removable lable the same size as the 8164. I ordered 4 packs a while back on Amazon for 23.00 and I think it was 600 lables in total. Just grab a corner and peel.

I use plain paper and my inkjet printer, then a glue stick to apply. Just don't get them wet as they will bleed. The labels soak right off. Loren

Label removal

I have been getting bottles from a local bar. I have been soaking the bottles for a couple days then Ill scrape them off. If need be Ill soak them again then use a scrubby to remove the glue

I also use the removable Avery labels in my inkjet. To avoid ink running I spray the sheet with some polyurethane before I place on the bottle. Works great. The labels come off so easy I feel like it's cheating.

Store bottles or Avery Labels. I just run hot water over bottle while using a razor blade. Just scrape, its not that bad. Labels and gumming come off pretty easy.

Just a comment and I am not recommending one way or the other, but I have never had a problem with ink jet labels running when wet. I don't know if they dried sufficiently or what but I have even soaked bottles with a homemade ink jet label (mine) and the entire image stays on the label. Certainly no problems from refrigeration nor condensation.

My biggest problem with removing labels is that even after soaking for days you still have some with a stubborn residue. I hated scraping.

After researching this somewhere (maybe this forum?), I read that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers would help. It did, amazingly so!

Thanks for all the input. I just bought some Avery 5440 removeable lables. They look like they'll do the job perfectly and if you take a second to bend one corner over, they come off with a slight tug. Niiiiiiiiice!!!

I used permanent lables on my beer bottles and HATED them. I finally started using round lables over the caps, which was far from perfect.

I was removing some labels yesterday. I wish they all used the same labels as Macs creek winery here in central Nebr. Put em in a sink of hot water with oxyclean and an hour or so later they fell off. No residue. Had some glue that didn't want to come off of one bottle. Had some lava pro orange hand cleaner sitting on the sink. Gave it a squirt of that and the glue wiped right off. Don't know if it will work with all the glues, but it did on the ones I tried. That is the easiest remover I have found so far and it was totally by accident. Arne.

Just a comment and I am not recommending one way or the other, but I have never had a problem with ink jet labels running when wet. I don't know if they dried sufficiently or what but I have even soaked bottles with a homemade ink jet label (mine) and the entire image stays on the label. Certainly no problems from refrigeration nor condensation.

I believe it is the label you are using. Avery makes quite a few different and I know there was one that I used and they would not run with an inkjet printer

I normally score the lables in a criss/cross fashion with a sharp knife, soak and scrape with a razor. For excess glue I use a little Acetone on a paper towel, comes right off.

I like the idea of adding a printed label to each bottle, but I don't want to have a major hassle getting it back off to reuse the bottle. Has anyone got any experience with this?

I use the gummed blank white label making paper from my LHBS.

About 30 seconds in warm water and they fall right off.

I use plain paper and my inkjet printer, then a glue stick to apply. Just don't get them wet as they will bleed. The labels soak right off. Loren

I do the same, this seems to work very well. however I like to take it a step further. before applying the labels to the bottles I give them a couple coats of clear spray can Kraylon

I have been printing on 8.5 x 11 parchment, matte krylon spray, And really like Luc's method of using milk as the glue. Works great and comes easily. The parchment paper gives a nice old time look to the label.

Latest posts

Back