Other Wine Kit Purchase

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Ok, this is my first venture into a kit wine. I need to know where most of you purchase them, ie: internet, local store, etc.
If the internet, what sites have you found to have the best prices, service, etc.?
Or are there supporters on WMT that I should be looking at.
I only have 3 gal. carboys at the moment, so my thought is to split the kit into two. Does anyone see a problem with this?
Looking for merlot and old vine zin to start with.
Thanks for any help.

I'm new to this hobby having just started in January of this year and only on my third kit. Kits have come from a home brew and wine making supplies store that is about a 25 minute drive from my home.

I like doing business locally but will shop the internet when and if I can find a significant savings by doing so.

Kits I usually buy from Spagnol's which is also,like bkisel, about a 25 minute drive. Ordering on line I never do with kits because the shipping costs are crazy

I buy the majority of mine from George at FVW out of Texas. He charges half of what the others charge for shipping. Which is important I live in Alaska.

finevinewines.com

I really enjoy working with them.

Kevin

I've bought most of my kits from Brew and Wine Supply or FineVineWines. Both have excellent service, good prices and very reasonable shipping. In fact, the local vendors I have are more expensive, even without shipping. I've also purchased from Northern Brewer. They have some pretty good specials from time to time.

I order my kits exclusively on-line because there are no reasonable alternatives here in the Columbus, Ohio area. As Boatboy points out, make sure you look at shipping costs. There are some suppliers who have lower prices for the kit but shipping is about $30 per. I like dealing with Fine Vine Wines (Texas), Midwest Supplies (Minnesota) and Brew & Wine Supply (Missouri). For me, they offer the best combination of price, shipping and service.

Excellent help, thank you. I will check with the two shops in town to see if they have what I want, otherwise will start with the names you all have provided. They are all located fairly close to me.

Any recommendations for a Merlot or Zinfandel kit, or do I need to be more specific? I keep reading on here about Wine Experts, Island Mist, CC, etc. and have no clue which way to go.

Last edited:
If you want a really good Merlot I would go with a RJS Winery Series Merlot w/ Merlot skins - Washington, if you want to go cheap or every day drinker I would go with a Cellar Craft Sterling Merlot California Reserve (when I made this one I added 1 oz. of Hungarian oak).

If there is anything you are looking for and don't see it on our web site, let me know and I'll get it in for you! (if I can)
And $10 flat rate shipping per kit.

Last edited:
I usually buy the better kits from from Southern Homebrew. Their shipping to the east coast + cost of the kit is usually the best for me. Sometimes I buy from the Winemaking Toy Store. Sometimes I buy local but that means an hour drive. Amazon has cheap kits but, in general, you get what you pay for.

I second the suggestion for Spagnols winery series merlot but if you want very good quality go with any kit that has a grape pack or grape skin pack. make it and wait 2 years. If you want a table wine, go with anything else.

I agree with Chrisjw on the price and shipping costs from Southern Homebrew. I too am very new to the hobby. After hours of reading posts here I have come to the conclusion that the quality of the end product is directly related to the price paid for the kit.

I started with a WineXpert Selection merlot which cost me around 80 bucks plus shipping. So far I am pleased with the wine but I must admit I get very jealous reading about folks putting up the high end kits based on their reviews. Saving cash now for a big kit. Lol

I think it's generally true that once you've made and experienced a high end kit, you'll have a difficult time liking a lower end kit...at least with regards to red wines. I'd say get the highest quality kit you can afford.

I've tried a few of the higher end wine kits and have mixed results. Some is technique and environment, some is quality of ingredients. I've only made 11 kits (mostly whites) so I don't have enough experience to decide which is the cause of my not so successful kits. My lower end whites come out really nice and I would not hesitate to make them again...actually did for a few of them. My one high-end white is so-so. I've been told that this particular kit needs a year before it starts to shine though so I'll find out in about 11 months.

Adam

I may not have completely understood your original post, but splitting a kit into two, three gallon carboys might be ok after primary fermentation, but the kits are balanced to make a full six gallons, so you would have issues with primary fermentation. Maybe you have a 6 1/2 or 7 gallon bucket? You will want a bucket if you purchase a skins kit.

I may not have completely understood your original post, but splitting a kit into two, three gallon carboys might be ok after primary fermentation, but the kits are balanced to make a full six gallons, so you would have issues with primary fermentation. Maybe you have a 6 1/2 or 7 gallon bucket? You will want a bucket if you purchase a skins kit.

David,
Well I already have the kit made. I went with a RJ CC Winery Series Old Vine Zin w/ skins.
Yes, I was talking about splitting it after primary fermentation. I have a 7.8 gal. primary that I fermented down to 1.010 and then racked into the 2 - 3 gal. carboys. They ran down to .992 I just racked again to 2 - 3 gal. carboys, stabilized, etc. and will let age for awhile before bottling.

Back