Wine kit price wars.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good points Francois. I have two "locals". One is a mere 5 miles from my house, but is mainly a brew shop. Of course, I can pick up some items there, and he sells a few kits. He really knows his stuff though and I'd love to see him doing more with wine. The other "local" is 20+ miles away (here in the DC area, that can take a lifetime to get to) and their prices are not good. I've looked at their on-line catalog and didn't go any further. As an example, some of the Eclipse red wines go for almost $170, plus tax.

Like NS (and probably most folks), I'm interested in the total, delivered price and am not interested in a lowball product price, only to be gouged on shipping or vice versa. I think most consumers are smart enough to do the math. I have no issue with "flat rate" shipping offers, etc. Again though, I look at the total delivered price. With wine supplies, or anything else, I'm not necessarily going to buy lowest though - I'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks if I've heard good things about that vendor, or have been treated well by them in the past.

Fran, I couldn't agree more with working with your local shops. I used to be a small business owner at one time and I know how the Internet can hurt you.
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a local brew shop anywhere within 200 miles, so I have to rely on Internet. However, I do agree with you and your local pro shop way of thinking. I commend you for mentioning that. Sometimes people forget that the little guy needs help too.

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with supporting the local. Unfortunately, my locals focus on brewing and, oh by the way, sell wine products. They aren't very knowledgeable about winemaking so I buy nearly all my products online. I've talked to them about it but 80%of their business is from beer. Can't blame them for protecting their bread butter.

Yeah Jim, I hear you. My LHBS charges through the nose, they got me with a 10% sale off the prices you mention. Oh well, when I went in there this evening for some cleansers, my guy recognized me and I got to give him another c note. I LOVE this hobby!

Best, Fran.

My LHBS was having a 20% off sale, so I picked up the LE Oregon Pinot Noir for $112.

Made my 1st purchase from LP. Gewurztraminer

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Ha Ha..LOL love it.
Our everyday price on the Eclipse Washington Riesling Kit is $139.99 along with our $10 flat rate shipping is $149.99. Then take the 5% Winemaking talk discount comes out to $142.40, with in $2 of the others with out the "sale price".
We have been a long time supporter of WMT and will be long into the future. I have personally met many local members on here and spoke with countless more by phone. This is one of the best forums on the web and not just for wine making, but any forum.
I just find it funny what some retailers will do to get customers. We believe in a good product at a good price, not the lowest but not the highest, but we are with in a few dollars of the "low price leaders".:ft

Thanks for the info Doug. Your ears must have been burning. I was just thinking about that about an hour ago, planning to check out your prices for comparison. You have always been highly competitive and your service is outstanding. And thank you for sponsoring WMT and the members.

Ha Ha..LOL love it.
Our everyday price on the Eclipse Washington Riesling Kit is $139.99 along with our $10 flat rate shipping is $149.99. Then take the 5% Winemaking talk discount comes out to $142.40, with in $2 of the others with out the "sale price".
We have been a long time supporter of WMT and will be long into the future. I have personally met many local members on here and spoke with countless more by phone. This is one of the best forums on the web and not just for wine making, but any forum.
I just find it funny what some retailers will do to get customers. We believe in a good product at a good price, not the lowest but not the highest, but we are with in a few dollars of the "low price leaders".:ft

With wine supplies, or anything else, I'm not necessarily going to buy lowest though - I'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks if I've heard good things about that vendor, or have been treated well by them in the past.

Doug is one of those vendors, by the way. Great service and always good, consistent prices.

Thanks Doug, for the reminder about the 5% WMT discount.

Latest posts

Back