Wine in a can??lol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmm.....I don't think i'd be able to keep a straight face while ordering one..."Excuse me, but may I have a wine in the can"....

I was at a winery in southeast PA a few months ago that sold wine in one gallon paint cans. It's a huge success. The wine is actually in bags that are inserted in the cans which have a hole in them for the spout to come out of. When the customer wants a refill all they need to do is bring the can back and a new bag is inserted saving the customer a few dollars on the package.

Most wine drinkers are traditionalist and romantics, just look at how corks outnumber screw caps. 12oz cans may not be that bad of an idea. That would be the equivalent of a 375ml bottle, the problem of left over wine oxidizing would be solved. No light passes through a can so no need to keep it in the dark. Probably easier to store just doesn't look as good. No broken bottles.

Would not work for home winemakers of course unless you have that ability to can and seal it.

Most wine drinkers are traditionalist and romantics, just look at how corks outnumber screw caps. 12oz cans may not be that bad of an idea. That would be the equivalent of a 375ml bottle, the problem of left over wine oxidizing would be solved. No light passes through a can so no need to keep it in the dark. Probably easier to store just doesn't look as good. No broken bottles.

Would not work for home winemakers of course unless you have that ability to can and seal it.

Thig, just for a respectful debate screw caps are rapidly increasing in the market. I believe everything in New Zealand and Australia are screw cap now. Wineries in the USA are also changing over on many of their wines. The industry for them has come so far since the days of Boones Farm that they are a viable closure.
As far as light goes in cans I agree it won't be passing through. The issue though would be the head space left after drinking a partial can. Another question I wonder about is the temperature. Does it fluctuate faster in a can than a bottle?

Thig, just for a respectful debate screw caps are rapidly increasing in the market. I believe everything in New Zealand and Australia are screw cap now. Wineries in the USA are also changing over on many of their wines. The industry for them has come so far since the days of Boones Farm that they are a viable closure.
As far as light goes in cans I agree it won't be passing through. The issue though would be the head space left after drinking a partial can. Another question I wonder about is the temperature. Does it fluctuate faster in a can than a bottle?

I agree with you about the screw caps and that was my point. Maybe I was misunderstood but a lot of the reason we stick with corks is tradition and the romantic idea of the cork.

I also agree the headspace would be a problem if the can is not consumed but it would be much easier to consume a 12oz can over a meal than a whole bottle, for me anyway.

There's a local winery that puts theirs in Mason jars. One jar'll do ya.

When I was in Japan last spring it was common to see wine in single serving glasseswineglass.jpg.

There are all kinds of sake sold in single serving glasses. They have a metal top that is pulled off.sake.jpgpull top.jpg

The coolest thing was the single serving sake that heated its self.!!

Here is a video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTVnLbXggM"]single serving sake[/ame]

RR

Last edited:

People have been putting food goods in metal cans a long time believe it or not. I remember my grandmother using a hand crank can sealer then putting the cans in a pressure canner to process them. Here are a couple videos

this is a manual one like my grandmother used:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVPI7NTnMU[/ame]

Here is an electric one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwiX1nY0W6Y[/ame]

RR

There's a local winery that puts theirs in Mason jars. One jar'll do ya.

There ya go Jim! I have dozens of mason jars just waiting for something to fill them up. I can do 8oz & pints just for me and save the bottles for times I am forced to share.

People have been putting food goods in metal cans a long time believe it or not. I remember my grandmother using a hand crank can sealer then putting the cans in a pressure canner to process them. Here are a couple videos

this is a manual one like my grandmother used:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVPI7NTnMU

Here is an electric one:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwiX1nY0W6Y

RR

Yes you are right, most small towns used to have a canning plant where you could take your vegetables and can them. I guess I was thinking more of having the ability to put into aluminum cans with a pop top.

RR, very interesting. I haven't found the single serving wine cups yet. But I haven't done a whole lot of shopping.

Greg, I was in Shibuya for two weeks staying with a friend last spring. Tried to time it for when the cherry trees would be in full bloom. Sadly missed it by a week. Oh, I could go on and on about the things we ate, things we did and things we saw.

Anyway, there was a market, similar to a 7-Eleven on the corner that stocked the wine and spirits we had while I was there. They had the individual wine glasses.

There were two earthquakes while I was there. I was excited about them but no one else was. Guess it is all to common for them.

RR

Back