Wine Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am working on two different batches of wine right now. I came home to two very different issues this evening.

First my Chenin Blanc: Receipe Link Here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f60/2014-chenin-blanc-44748/

So I came home late tonight and my pantry smells like rotten eggs, I had a moment of panic and search for a solution and came across a post on here that said to add yeast nutrient because the yeast may be stressed. I added 3 tsp (that is all I have) to a six gallon batch and it helped some. The SG at this point is 1020 (which itself is odd to me because I just started fermentation on Monday at 1070). Any other thoughts????

Now for my peach wine. Recipe Link Here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/peach-wine-44607/

I have a primary 5 gallon carboy (which I added sugar to after transfering from primary fermentation to help get the ABV up) (SG today at 1010) and a 1 gallon (did not add the sugar to, SG at 990) which I am planning to use for topping up. The 5 gallon is still fermenting away, however the 1 gallon is not. I am sure this is to me not adding sugar to the 1 gallon. I tasted the one gallon and it tastes awful. Not sure if I did anything wrong. I added a Campden tablet to the one gallon because it seems to be done fermenting and I wanted to prevent the wine from fermenting further. Does the peach sound like it is on track?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am at a loss in general right now.

Rotten Eggs: Yup nutrient is the way to go to stop further H2S production. You may need to do a splash racking just as fermentation ends.

1 Gallon not fermenting: Do you have any type of hydrometer readings? If you do not have a hydrometer, taste the wine instead. Does it taste sweet?

Latest posts

Back