Wine Filters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you just question if the drinking water filter for an entire house was "food" safe? ;)

haha.gif

water filter

YES I guess I did,:d but I always question thinking,its just to be sure ,just because its good for water ,doesn't mean its good for all liquids ,that's all ,but I guess its not any different from the brino filters,still a net idea.:f

Actually joe I had a very long conversation after grapeman aka appleman aka Rich told me about this filter supply place and these filters and housings are fine. Actually hey dont recommend all filters for this purpose and selected me a few to choos from which were and I choose the midrange of them to sell when I was selling them. The next step up from them was very expensive and really didnt offer anything better in the way of wine making but could handle lots more acids and stuff which really isnt needed for us at all and ould just be a big waste of money.

filters

understnad WADE thanks alot,also IM going to put pics,soon on when good wines gone bad..:try

Its not quite as compact as the Buon Vino but it also does more! :sm

20110111_224022_DSC02856.jpg

I would LOVE a set up like that...seems to complicated for little old me. People have said to use a used medical aspirator? Where would I go about finding one? I might have to invest in the other filter mentioned in the meantime.

Ebay! Below is a link to a brand new one with all the hoses and overflow canister.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUCTION-UNIT-AS...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e87e5414
Or you can find a used one cheaper but they are usually missing hoses and then you have to find that and possibly even the canister. I used to sell these here and probably will again in the winter. I would advise getting new hoses and overflow canister anyway IMO so this new one is a good deal! Ive also bought from this place before and they are a pleasure to deal with!

The rest of the stuff is easy to get. Dble drilled bungs I sell and even the elbows to fit the bungs and if you want to filter then you can go to a Home Improvement store and get a whole house filter canister and a filter just like the one above or in my pic below. The filter is mounted under the counter top on the right side of the screen. You can rack up hill meaning youll never have to lift a full carboy off the floor, you can degas your wine better then any other method out there, you can filter your wine and even bottle your wine with additional equipment. Ive actually racked wine from my basement floor to my second floor.
Heres a pic of me racking a wine with my pump. That unit on the counter top with the hose sticking up out the top is a bottling unit hooked up to the vacuum aspirator.

Testing Area.jpg

Copy of pump set up.jpg

Last edited:
Do I have to use a vacuum pump with a whole house filter? Will other pumps works. I'm looking into using larger tanks from Flextank USA. I like the affordability and filtering options of whole house but getting it set up on something other than glass carboys might be tricky. Is there an optimal flow rate through the filters? I probably should start another thread.

I dont see any problem using another pump as long as its not a huge different in pressure (speed) The pumps we use do about 30 liters per minute max. but we rarely ever crank it up that high for anything

I agree clear the wine and use a Minijet filter. You just have buy it and filters there is no other work to it.

The advantage the vacuum pump and whole house filter have over the buen mini jet is that you can also use the pump to rack your wine even up hill. You will never have to lift a full carboy again to siphon rack it. It's a beautiful thing once you use it a couple times. You can likely get a pump and filter set up for a few dollars more than a Buen Mini Jet if you look around.

I lOVE having a vacuum pump ... I also picked up a WH filter unit a few days ago.

The vacuum pump is also handy for bottling.

In summary, vacuum can be used for:
Racking
Degassing
Filtering
Bottling

I only paid $60 for my pump, $32 for the bottle filler, $22 for the WH filter.

That's a lot of bang for the winemaking buck.

(( The pump is a used http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?prodID=IRC1135 ))

I lOVE having a vacuum pump ... I also picked up a WH filter unit a few days ago.

The vacuum pump is also handy for bottling.

In summary, vacuum can be used for:
Racking
Degassing
Filtering
Bottling

I only paid $60 for my pump, $32 for the bottle filler, $22 for the WH filter.

That's a lot of bang for the winemaking buck.

(( The pump is a used http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?prodID=IRC1135 ))

I would love one of these and that is a great deal...did you get it off ebay?

The rest of the stuff is easy to get. Dble drilled bungs I sell and even the elbows to fit the bungs and if you want to filter then you can go to a Home Improvement store and get a whole house filter canister and a filter just like the one above or in my pic below. The filter is mounted under the counter top on the right side of the screen. You can rack up hill meaning youll never have to lift a full carboy off the floor, you can degas your wine better then any other method out there, you can filter your wine and even bottle your wine with additional equipment. Ive actually racked wine from my basement floor to my second floor.
Heres a pic of me racking a wine with my pump. That unit on the counter top with the hose sticking up out the top is a bottling unit hooked up to the vacuum aspirator.

Wade, can I ask where you got that single bottle filler?

My vote is for the whole house filter and vac. pump. I've had the mini and got rid of it. Now I use the pump to filter, rack & bottle. Like the man said, "never lift a full carboy again". :b

Wade, can I ask where you got that single bottle filler?

The unit I have is pretty pricey but from Valley Vinter.
http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VB-10-1005&Category_Code=

You can easily buy a much cheaper unit called the Boun Vino Auto filler for about 435 through most places like the below link as it does the same thing but doesnt look as glamorous.
http://finevinewines.com/XPListDet1.asp?MM_PartNumber4887
If the above link doesnt work look under bottling on the FVW's website and scroll down like 3 items.

I would love one of these and that is a great deal...did you get it off ebay?

Somebody here pointed me to a private party that had some for sale. I think they also sold them on e-bay.

Ebay sells a lot of these vacuum pumps, some used and some new. Dont knock the used ones as most of these are hospital grade and will run for a long long time and are maintenance free requiring no oil. Try and get one with the overflow canister, the little hydrophobic filter right before the regulator and 1 long and one short hose, Id make sure the hoses and even the canister are new if you want to save what over flows into the canister. If you bottle your wine with this unit in the beginning while you are learning the ins and outs af getting it perfectly adjusted youll most likely be getting lots of wine into this overflow canister and youll want to return that to a bottle.

Latest posts

Back