Wine Club Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got lucky this week, my shipment basically followed a cool front along the route plus with my route the morning lows are usually very cool (Salt Lake City, Denver) which helps offset the daytime highs. Next week looks horrible along my shipping route. With you guys having a 2600 mile oneway trip vs my 1200 mile trip I would question any ground shipping where it sits in a truck over the weekend especially during warm weather.

Hmm. My tracking still shows the last scan as Departure of Portland, OR at 3:07am on Tuesday the 24th.

btw, this is the frozen brick I was talking about Vivino puts in their packages if requested.

tY4OfNbg-aQynK2Ads5Nq8tmLMhbZ9PewxjBryzhf9gclgzH-5Ds4-lu89ZTiTLNn8skwa62cRJgIV4Cwz4dhQxw2v9m0ArjQauz1AAZE-qv4560SJaUC99Y3xN267noXzaN9iEpp3RYLP5bm3Yu6g3DSpxmfpFvzYzJ9sNTRU85YIo0vFud7NIiejmAuaTLzmcSHkjY2Q95OsnDCwnRlCFs7KcwFr7IpIwFv0mihnftCZXDIyw5VztrDQn925mreer9XpJaS_AWbUVqm8DKWnDahs5YYO6Pwaw5K0Yut_NXTrDeHk7Jd9ynYgp5WWcUCWBFkWlnPAmII47KH7P5XT8aP4kdIcVY6Z7alYxbjLY-2hzXcGb1AMkI0TwylJ6PDrEFoh9zj_AIqTXw7mFu-_XKDRaBTGyvyuIwwCXPJUrq3HrJcnNKkkh_WzXxF3gITh_FL60C-87p-nA8sY6hu2Dxb17DUYuqFWCYmWmYRnh874o2GxH393zRZvMaGNMw63pRbUJwqGoTJpV4uhyREQ9V9ZQ0yUoYCDSnaJjUGj_RX7-ICctXXxQtbA9ZkgdGjS_SLFVxDUJTVfCzcoTI2mUDKFQVh9sJ=w1306-h979-no

Mine didn't have much detail either this time but I have ordered enough wine over the years to see quite a few check in points along the route. For me its Boise, ID, then Salt Lake City, then Denver and then delivery to me the next day unless its UPS which drives it right past me to ABQ to be checked in taking another day and then the next morning they drive it back to Santa fe early and check in their then out for delivery. UPS takes 5 days to get to me FedEx only 4 but probably 60% or more of the wineries in WA state typically only ship UPS. Some use both like CC and if you request they will send FedEx as in my case.

I like the Ice Brick. That combined with a nice styrofoam wine shipper would certainly help to keep things cool.

Chelmsford, MA, United States 05/29/2016 11:27 A.M. Arrival Scan

Slowly, but surely it's coming. Yesterday it was in the 90s and sunny. As an Astronomer; I love it when it's sunny, but right now... Not so much.

Do you have anything to check the bottle temp? It would be good to know just in case you need/want to send it back. You could say it was dropped off at xx:xx and when opened X hours later the bottle temp was XX degrees F.

Mine got to Baltimore yesterday, then made its way to the local about an hour and a half later. It's sitting about 2 miles from my house right now. High yesterday was 84, with 80 expected today. Not ideal, but I think I'm fine.

Mine arrived in Brookfield (5-7 miles away) at 12:28AM this morning. It's 66F right now, but will hit up to around 85F by 2pm. Hopefully it's in an at least somewhat air conditioned warehouse facility, but I doubt it.

Safe and sound, chilling in the basement. The label on the blend says cellaring potential of 15-20 years. Gonna be a long wait... :ft

Mine arrived. The bottle feels about room temperature, though it arrived at 2:45pm and sat in the package room until 7pm when I was able to pick it up. The package room sits around 72F. If it were overly warm. It may have had time to cool off.

I suppose I have no choice but to open a bottle and decide if I should keep it. Probably not tonight, but I will soon. Probably Thursday at the earliest.

I still think I'm going to have them ship my orders the two day shipping. An extra $7 for four bottles of wine of this quality isn't that bad I suppose and well worth it if I don't have to worry as much about the condition of the wine when it arrives.

So I have a question. How do they determine if a bottle is age-able for 15-20 years?

Data points, lots and lots of data points.

I have a 2001 Walter Clore that they sent a couple years ago in a Winter shipment as a bonus, "thank you" for your membership. I guess I need to open that one some day soon..... :)

So I have a question. How do they determine if a bottle is age-able for 15-20 years?

I just got this email.

We’re thrilled to offer, for the first time ever, the option to add an additional mid-summer fulfillment. The wines are the 2015 Reserve Pinot Blanc Yakima Valley, 2015 Reserve Garnacha Blanca Yakima Valley and 2015 Reserve Sauvignon Blanc Horse Heaven Hills.

Mike, Any thoughts on these from past vintages?

Only the Sauv Blanc has been produced before that I am aware of. The Pinot Blanc and Grenache Blanc are first timers I think. The new ones should be fun for sure as I have not had the opportunity to taste either. The Sauv Blanc is always good. I would only do it if they throw in an inexpensive deal for 2 day air shipping like they did for the Crowd Sourced Cabernet.

Mike, Any thoughts on these from past vintages?

To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question. :?

I think I'm going to do it. I love a good Riesling. You guys have any opinions before I take the plunge?

Dear David,

Your upcoming fall Reserve Club fulfillment will include these wines from Horse Heaven Hills:
– 2014 Reserve Malbec Spice Cabinet Vineyard
– 2014 Reserve Chardonnay

We are excited to offer you the option to add the 2015 Reserve Dry Riesling, Yakima Valley to your club fulfillment with no additional shipping cost.

“Elegant aromas of spiced apple and stone fruits are apparent in this dry Riesling. Notes of white peach and lime give way to a lasting finish.”
— Juan Muñoz-Oca, Winemaker

You have two upgrade options:
Add one bottle of 2015 Reserve Dry Riesling for an additional $22.40 + tax
Add two bottles of 2015 Reserve Dry Riesling for an additional $44.80 + tax
To add this limited release wine to your fulfillment, click the button below no later than August 25th. Your additional wines will ship with your regular fall fulfillment on September 19th or be ready for pickup at the winery on September 14th.

To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question. :?

I think I'm going to do it. I love a good Riesling. You guys have any opinions before I take the plunge?

I was going to call and ask if I could trade the Riesling for the Chardonnay. :)

I'm seriously considering upgrading.

New varietal for the Reserve Club so no previous data. Have had lots of the CC Grand Estates at ~$12 each and all very good. $22 for a Riesling it better be off the charts good. I purchased a 6 pack of Long Shadows Poet's Leap Riesling when we visited the winery several years ago in Walla Walla, WA. Their Poet's Leap is only $20 and it scored 91pts WS last year as a data point. That club price is good till the next cycle IIRC so you could add one, try it out and get more while still at the club discount since its ready to drink now.

Latest posts

Back