Wine Clearing Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a stubborn batch you've got! Well, do try what others suggested. But since you used so many fining agents with no result, I hope you don't mind me adding a tip for the future reference: don't add bentonite with or shortly after you treat the must/wine with pectic enzyme or other enzymes, for that matter (e.g. lysozyme), as bentonite binds and deactivates them.

Lastly, I hesitate to mention it, but I'll say it anyway, I suppose. In case your carboy is sitting in the laundry/boiler room closely surrounded by appliances with motors or generators, there is a chance that even small vibrations sent by those things, like washing machine or refrigerator, are keeping your sediment suspended. Just saying...

Pouring the wine down the drain is the last thing you could do. Before then, however, you can further degass it, add K-meta, put it in a dark, cool corner and forget about it indefinitely, and one day, it might surprise you.

Latest posts

Back