Wine and Beer hydometer not working right ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I was fooling around and poured a drink of my pineapple wine into the tall tube my " beer and wine hydometer" came with to pour wine into and check for S.P. . I never knew how to read it and the sugar content never mattered as far as the hydometer said ( cause i didnt know what it meant anyway) So i'm getting a reading of -4.7 alchol ? Does this mean less alchol than water ? lol.
Anyway I think I've be getting a "contact high " like smelling the cork and getting drunk.
I filled my tube and put my glass hydometer into the tube and it went all the way down except the little band of red at the top is halfway showing in the red there is an arrow pointing up saying wine. below the red is a band of green saying beer. Well I'm measuring wine . so I look at the numbers above the red band ,well actually these numbers start at 0.80 and go way down to 50 where the hydometer has a bulge ,then the numbers stop.
So I am looking at where the wine comes to on the hydometer and it is about halfway up the red band that says wine ,so this means nothing but I now go and look at the paper inside the tube the hydometer get stored in and find 0.980 which is where my hydrometer is floating at.So I look at the chart in the tube thats saying all about how much sugar and everything else no doubt, but next to the number 0.980 it says alchol -4.7 %. This is very embarassing because I drank about 1/4 of this glass and "think" I feel it. OMG all this time making wine and I could have drank my tap water and gotten way higher cause its probaly zero alchol content but this stuff is less than zero.. I dont know the oposite of alchol but i got -4.7 of what ever it is lol.. maybe i discovered some new way to get high ,I'll soon be rich and wont be takling to you people on here lol.
No wonder I never use all this stuff I bought when I first tried making wine .. Does anyone know what going on with this reading ??

Well folks its down the hatch with the wine that was still in the hydometer tube ,my glass is empty and I feel like I better not type anymore ..
Good nite.

Last edited:
You can't measure ABV from a hydrometer without knowing 3 things.
Starting Gravity
Finished Gravity
ABV hydrometer equation.

Hydrometer measures gravity, or more so in the case of wine making- sugar, when sugar is converted to alcohol it will read 0, or even lower because alcohol is thinner than water.
I understand the alcohol induced typing....

Latest posts

Back