Willsboro NY Cold Hardy Grape Variety Trial

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...... but this summer went the wrong way for me early on and I'll be surprised to see much of a harvest this year..."

I am with ya on this....i sprayed my vines today and can see that if things dont change fast as in this week...i could lose up to 400+ vines...but are your vines yellowing at all? I the vines are still nice and green then you are in decent enough shape to come out of this ok if the weather changes for you.....also verasion may be coming soon for you afterall mine just started a week and a half ago on *some* vines

We'll be praying for you.....its a tough row

Sorry I have been missing today. I left early this AM to spray at Willsboro. Got it done since no rain for today and actually sunny. I left small tractor tracks in the alleys, but got it done. Came home and decided I might as well do mine since I saw a bit of botrytis yesterday. Left a few ruts there.

Then another unexpected result of all the rain. My 17 year old and a friend looked up magic mushrooms online. He sampled some this afternoon and is currently in the emergency room until at least midnight. We called 911 at about 5:00 when he became hyperactive and totally non-coherent. Cindy went to the hospital and I remained home to check to see if I could find the mushrooms and destroy them. I found then- but fat chance getting rid of them. There are literally tens of thousands of them growing on the pine floor in the plantation next to the house. I took some sample to the hospital and told them what I could. I will go back about midnight and see if he will come home tonight or if they will keep him overnight.
Dang this rainy weather. More results from it than one can anticipate.!

Appleman....That is really serious stuff those kids eating the mushrooms....Hope they are okay...Keep us Posted.

Not a good experiment.

ditto...our prayers are with you and yours...that puts my losing several hundred vines to pale in comparison

please let us know how things stand

We brought him home this AM late. He saw a Crisis Counselor before coming home and was deemed just a curious teen. They can't seem to impress on him those mushrooms are poisonous and the hallucinations are a result of that poison. He won't tell us he will never take them again. The doctors said another couple of them and it could have killed him. What can I do when they are growing wild everywhere with all this rain? There are some more sprouted overnight where I had removed them last evening behind the house. Rain, Rain, Go Away.

Thanks guys for caring.
P.S.- Flood watches up again with another few inches on the way- one is within thunder hearing range with building black skies. At least I go the grapes sprayed yesterday before this.

Thank God that you were home and noticed his mental confusion and got him to the hospital....Glad he will be okay....hopefully a lesson learned.

Are you still locking the boys out of the wine rooms?????

That's an amazing (and scary) story Rich, and you are to be commended on doing the right things at the right time. The incident gives your family something to talk about for years to come too!
smiley3.gif
We all have our little sagas...

Here are a few new pictures from the Willsboro vineyard trial. I'm checking to see if they download better in Chrome.

NY 76.844.34
20080904_140616_100_4434_Medium.jpg
20080904_140641_100_4436_Medium.jpg

Assorted Grapes
20080904_140717_100_4438_Medium.jpg
20080904_140745_100_4439_Medium.jpg
20080904_140815_100_4441_Medium.jpg

LaCrescent and St. Pepin
20080904_140851_100_4443_Medium.jpg
20080904_140918_100_4445_Medium.jpg
20080904_140943_100_4446_Medium.jpg
Edited by: appleman

great pictures...good crops......thanks for shraing

in the sixth picture from the top...right hand area of the picture...on the leaves...is that foliar phyloxera....and if so,what do they do about it....?

NW they are starting to taste pretty good as well as looking good.

Wade the pictures downloaded fine with no glitches, but instead of having the picture show if editing, it puts the code in instead. That makes it pretty hard to mark up the pictures unless I name them all before uploading.

Al, yes that is foliar phylloxera on them. The LaCrosse are the worst. We haven't done anything for it yet. Generally they don't affect the grape vines too badly, however if I get them that bad here, I will be taking appropriate steps. I may talk to Wayne Wilcox to see if he would recommend to spray them this coming year. He is set to be coming up this coming year for a presentation some time.

WOW!!! What a fine crop!!! That's just beautiful!
Edited by: Joan

Rich...help me understand it...doesnt the foliar phyloxera still result in a root version?

Yes it does Al. The big thing is that these hybrids are able to resist the phylloxera effects on the roots. It can affect them a bit, but in general the root version doesn't do much damage. That is why the vinifera vines were crossed with American varieties, to inherit the resistance the American vines have to the effects of the root phylloxera. I haven't seen any at home this year to speak of, but had just a bit in the LaCrosse last year. At Willsboro in general, most of the varieties from the Midwest(Minnesota and Elmer Swenson) are the worst affected, yet they are still very vigorous.

Good looking grapes there Richard.

I don't think that there is a place that could produce better grapes than New York. I'm surprised that business hasn't taken off more up there. It has boomed down here......... go figure!

New York in general has a very fast growing wine industry. Upstate lags behind the Finger Lakes, but we are working on that one vine at a time!

Ct. has I think 4 new 1's this year that are on the trail and a few that arent even listed yet. Its booming over here and we even have a new LHBS starting this Sat. a mile from where I work and the funny thing is, I used to work 1 door away from him a few years back and when he was out i used to Tow Motor his shipments into our building until he'd come back. i spoke to him through email 2 days ago and will be helping him with his Grand Opening and will bring in some wine for customers to try. Small world.

Back