Why we thank Firefighters!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a picture yesterday of my just-racked buttery chardonnay -- opened the window to get the light shining through it and when through saw this in the distance:
20060808_142213_P8070001CropThm.jpg

Yesterday, we had what's called a "red flag" warning -- high temps (96F), high winds(25-30mph -- note the trees in the foreground), and low humidity (around 18%). The smudge of smoke you see is in a popular recreation area at the edge of town -- this pic was taken about 5:30pm and the fire started about a half hour earlier -- it's probably 5 acres at this point. (We are about 4 miles away, as the raven flies.)
20060808_142809_P8070003CropThm.jpg

This is about 6pm and the fire has "spotted" up the hill on the right side of the draw. While there are no homes in the recreationarea (it is US Forest Service) there are many home in the flats below and in the smoke-filled valley on the right. At this point a helicopter with a bucket started putting water on the spot fires on the right hand slope and we saw a "lead plane" flying in the area (a twin-engined Beech Baron), so we knew retardent "bombers" would soon arrive.
20060808_143449_P8070010CropThm.jpg

This was taken about 7pm -- youcan see several spot fires on the hill to the right of the draw where the fire originated -- there were spot fires on the backside of this hill as well -- we watched two helicopters (sky-cranes) bringing water from the Clark Fork River (which runs left to right along the base of these hills) and "working" the spot fires on the right side of the gully (the left side of the hill in the middle of the picture). Soon, two "retardent bombers" -- a P-3 Orion and a P-2 Neptune -- arrived and began dropping their loads -- the airport is about 3 miles to the right of the picture, so there was a quick turn-around.
20060808_144043_P8070014CropThm.jpg

This is now 7:30pm, winds have started to die down and smoke is much diminished. The speck in the sky (on the left) below the bright spot is a P-3 Orion, a 4-engined ex-Navy sub-hunter converted to carry about 3000 gallons of retardent, actually a commercial fetilizer that is in a viscous state, similar to the last inch or so on the bottom of your carboy -- but it sticks to the vegetation and "retards" the fire from burningwhere the retardent has been dropped. The lead plane leads in the larger plane, showing the pilot where to dump the load. They were flying from right to left, often BEHIND that triangular-shaped hill to get to the spots on the backside. Needless to say, but -- these folks have the "right stuff."

20060808_145410_P8070017CropThm.jpg

It's now about 8pm, the retardent ships and helicopters have stopped and we know that there are likely hand crews up there hitting the fire hard -- we can tell that because of the reduced amount of smoke the fire is putting up. We sipped our cabernet and toasted those folks out there -- and after dark we could see flames in several spots that we knew were still burning. This morning...
20060808_145944_P8080001CropThm.jpg

...NO SMOKE! We learned that they had worked through the night and were able to get it out due to quick action and the help of the aerial folks!

I know this doesn't have much to do with wine, except for my goofy references above, but while we may not have the high humidityand damp basements like some of our friends, this is what our weather DOES give us!
So, a toast
smiley32.gif
and "THANKS" to firefighters everywhere, who, like all emergency services people do their jobs so we can sit on the deck with a glass of wine and watch the sun set!

Dave

oilnH20:

I took a look at your pictures and knew it was Montana before I scrolled to the bottom of the page. I was over in E. Glacier last week to look at the fires in St Marys. It was an amazing sight, I took lots of pictures and watched the helos flying over for an hour. Hold onto your hat, we will soon have snow... I agree with you on thanking the firefighters.....jh

Well, welcome aboard, JH!

I used to work in Glacier -- that Red Eagle fire makes the little 40 acre one here in Missoula look like nothing (the Red Eagle Firewas over 30,000 acres last I heard!)

You'll like this forum -- lots of great info and people with far more experience than I could hope for! Don't hesitate to ask any question -- you'll tap into a wealth of wine-making power!

Dave

thanks Dave. I have already learned quite a bit from what I have read. I really liked your pictures, and with your permission I would like to use one of them for a wine label....How long have you been making wine? jh

Only since January of this year -- as a result of my 15-year old son and a visit to his Godfather in Creston, BC who makes wine -- my son thought it would be fun. I've found it can be expensive!
smiley36.gif

BUT, in that time we've got 30 bottles of burgandy, another 30 of pinot noir, and bulk-aging chardonnay, nebbiolo, and a Washington State merlot. Plus, I've tried lilac, rhubarb, and just started blackberry, all from scratch. What the scratch wines do, I think at least for me, is help me to better understand what I'm doing when I do the kit wines. So, in spite of what the avatar up on the left says, I'm just a newbie still learning!

Have at it with the pics and labels-- always glad to help! By the way, the forum loves looking at pic's of labels, so be sure to post it for everyone to admire when you're done!

Dave:

Many thanks for the use of your wonderful pictures. I will most definately post some of mine. I have some labels that I think everyone may enjoy. I'll have to figure out how to post them???

I'm pretty new at this wine making thing also, been doing it about 1 1/2 years. I started out with two kits. One Merlot, and then a peach cider. After reading up on wine making on the net, I thought I knew way more than I really did and ended up pouring the majority of the cider kit down the drain. It was at that point I thought I would just do mine from scratch. Since then I have done one Gewstramaier (sp) kit just to have some wine around. ( I hate the waiting) I picked up some cherries in the Flathead a couple weeks ago, and have a dandy 3 gal batch fermenting away. I have also picked a truckload of chokecherries, and buffalo berries. Rhubarb, and strawberry are also cooking. The wife puts a 3 wine limit on my fermentation process.

Anyway, thanks again. jh

Back