Why do wine kits have you stabilize at 1.0

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakersoaker

Reaction score
I have been reading alot on here and most people say to stabilize once you have the same sg reading three days in a row . But some of the kits I have done say to stabilize when it reaches 1.0 or less. So my question is can you treat other wines like a wine kit. I had a vintners harvest black currant wine that was doing great and I racked the first time and about two months later started have that awful sulfer smell and I do mean awful. It was ruined long after I thought the danger of h2s had passed.would it have benefited from early stabilization ? Would early stabilization even worked?

Early stabilization leaves you with a "naturally sweetened" wine. I'm assuming some kits recommend this to duplicate the original winemasters "formula"
Plus...they gotta live up to that "28 Day drinkability " guarantee.

Do you recall what yeast you used, some are known as H2S producers?

Stabilizing, ie dosing with k-meta or k-meta plus sorbate once must has reached its natural FG will not typically prevent H2S development. The most common causes of H2S: can be a result of a nutritient deficit, ie stressed yeast, may simply be the norm for the yeast, sitting on gross lees too long.

Did you toss the wine? H2S can usually be resolved if you attack it as soon as you catch that first icky scent.

Yes it was red star premier cuvee I think or Montrachet but it was racked from the primary and didnt happen for a couple of months

You know I don't remember it was last year maybe I didn't could that cause the smell? I think I did but didn't keep notes it was one of my first batches

Back