Why Do Most Recipes Have SG & FG But Not Acidity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
I've been skimming over a few wine making books from the library trying to learn as much as I can and I noticed that many list a starting gravity and ending gravity to determine sugar content and ABV (alchohol by volume), but I'm not seeing any telling you what to adjust the acid level to. Is that because the target acid level is the same for all wines or something?

Also, I am still at a loss for understanding how to use a Hydrometer. I have yet to run across simple direct directions that tell you how to read it, what to shoot for, and how to adjust it up or down. While I'm at it, how much acid blend is typical to be needed to add to a 5 gallon jug of wine to get levels right? Is it a lot or are we only talking tablespoons full most of the time? Reason why I ask is that I've only got a bottle of this stuff right now and if I'm going to get a Hydrometer and be adjusting things then I need to know how much acid blend to keep on hand. Also, is it even common to have to lower acid levels and if so how and with what? I'm mainly into making fruit (non-citrus) and berry wines at this time if that matters.

One other question...I am also running across a lot of recipes that not only don't have a SG, FG number, or acid level to shoot for, but instead just give you the amount of sugar and acid blend to use in the ingredients. Am I to assume these are general recipes that most find work well without the need for a hydrometer or acid test kit?

I've been skimming over a few wine making books from the library trying to learn as much as I can and I noticed that many list a starting gravity and ending gravity to determine sugar content and ABV (alchohol by volume), but I'm not seeing any telling you what to adjust the acid level to. Is that because the target acid level is the same for all wines or something?

Most recipes are old, from a time when cheap, simple acid test kits weren't widely available. There are general guides for desired acid levels, but the acidity in fruit/juice can vary greatly. Testing for acid is a way to get consistent results just like testing for sugar is.

Also, I am still at a loss for understanding how to use a Hydrometer. I have yet to run across simple direct directions that tell you how to read it, what to shoot for, and how to adjust it up or down.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrometer_use.htm explains how to use a hydrometer.

YOU decide the target level based on how much alcohol you want in the finished wine. 1085 is a good target for most fruit wines.

While I'm at it, how much acid blend is typical to be needed to add to a 5 gallon jug of wine to get levels right? Is it a lot or are we only talking tablespoons full most of the time? Reason why I ask is that I've only got a bottle of this stuff right now and if I'm going to get a Hydrometer and be adjusting things then I need to know how much acid blend to keep on hand. Also, is it even common to have to lower acid levels and if so how and with what? I'm mainly into making fruit (non-citrus) and berry wines at this time if that matters.

Most acid blends will adjust 1 gallon up in acidity for each tsp added. Measure what is there, add the amount req'd to get to the target you want. Most fruit wines you'll want around .6 TA.

One other question...I am also running across a lot of recipes that not only don't have a SG, FG number, or acid level to shoot for, but instead just give you the amount of sugar and acid blend to use in the ingredients. Am I to assume these are general recipes that most find work well without the need for a hydrometer or acid test kit?

These are just more generalized recipes for people that don't want to fiddle with measuring anything. The repeatability of your results won't be very good.

By measuring/adjusting/recording acidity and sugar levels, you'll be able to make adjustments in future batches if desired. Once you have a recipe that you REALLY like, you'll have a better chance of doing it again if you control the variables.

Here is a tutorial for the hydrometer http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10346.

Acid Levels vary on type of wine (White/Red/Fruit) and sweetness of wine (Dry/Sweet).

Dry white grape wines - .65 - .75
Sweet white grape wines - .70 - .85
Dry red grape wines - .60 - .70
Sweet red grape wines - .65 - .80
Sherry grape wines - .50 - .60
Non-grape white wines (Fruit) - .55 - .65
Non grapes red wines (Fruit) - .50 - .60

Thanks for the info. So an acid test and Hyrdometer are just so you can shoot for similar results from the last batch then? So long as I want as high a yeild of alchohol as possible then just over do it with the sugar, like say 10 pounds for a 7 gallon primary?

Thanks for the info. So an acid test and Hyrdometer are just so you can shoot for similar results from the last batch then? So long as I want as high a yeild of alchohol as possible then just over do it with the sugar, like say 10 pounds for a 7 gallon primary?

You also have to decide which yeast you want to use for higher ABV. Different yeasts die at different levels. So some yeasts will give you higher ABV than others.

There are a lot of wine bases that will be low in acid naturally. Proper acid levels help insure the wine won't spoil.

Assuming the original recipe creator was competent, then sure, jack up the sugar (with appropriate yeast) and make rocket fuel.

There are limits. Without a hydrometer it will be hard to tell when you've added more sugar than the yeast can convert to alcohol. The result? SWEET rocket fuel with a flat taste due to too little acid that has no similarity to the fermented fruit :)

Back