Whole House water filters for wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found an image for this filter.

21DJrlLMACL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yup - that's it - i found the image as well - just didn't post it.

Thanks Mike!!

I'm one of the guys that runs water through the filter system a couple of minutes and then I store them in a sealed PVC container with K-meta solution in it. The day before I am going to filter a wine, I take it out of the container to drain off the excess. I have one container for red and one for white. I've used each one about 5 times so far.

So how do you know when they are bad?

I know the 0.5 i am looking at is for 6 months or 1000 gallons which ever comes first - i know i won't filter 1000 within 6 months - but can these filters last longer than 6 months??

If you are storing them correctly then yes. They just mean if you have one of these filters in your water housing for 6 months then that is typically hen it will need to be changed. If yours is being stored in good sanitary conditions then it should last indefinitely as long as the storage solution isnt corroding the filter in any way.

On my absolute filters I rinse and sterilize them prior to putting them away - but what I was taught was to put them in the microwave. I know it sound weird but it gets all the water out and the filter is now dry when I store it.

The cheaper filters are disposable in my eyes, it is not worth the effort for the same price as the mini jet filters which I would never reuse as well.

thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I know this is somewhat off subject (not really though). I really thought of filtering my wines using a whole house filter and am currently using VacuumPumpMans pump (love it). I am NOT doing shows anytime soon, only making kits currently for myself and a few friends. Does anyone else filter their wines for personal use, or mostly just for public and competitions??

I use the whole-house filter on all of my wines. Make sure it's visibly clear before you filter, though. It's amazing how it really makes the wine sparkle.
Good luck.

I filter all my wines as even after 8 months of aging Ive had a few still drop sediment in the bottles.

Sounds good, I guess I'll plan on getting it set up before I bottle my Riesling. Just need to figure out how much sulfites to add for a 2-3 year shelf life now.

If you are using that housing you will need those fittings but if you have a Ace Hardware near you they sell them. Just make sure you get the nylon ones as brass or copper is no good, stainless steel would be good but trying to find them in that or even nylon isnt easy, All the big box stores only carry the brass ones!

OK, sounz good. I will have to check locally. Out of the two filter housings is the first one (with the pressure relief valve on top) the one I definitely want or should I go with the one linked at the bottom of the post? I have been out of the hobby for three months, so looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

BTW, does anyone have info on running the pipe to the base of the housing?? I know VacuumPumpMan has this setup along with some kind of piece coming out the top. Is there any writeup or pics on that?

I have not had any problems with my valve but as we really dont work under a lot of backed pressure you might be safer not getting the valve I guess. As far as the pipe inside the housing to the bottom Steve just threaded the inside where the filter sits around and added that pce of pvc inside there which is a great idea.

OK, I am giving Steve a call Sun or Mon anyway. Since I have his VacuumPump, maybe I'll just end up getting the latter filter housing without the valve on top as you mentioned. A few bucks cheaper too. BTW, any idea what Micron filter I should go with for a blush (White Zin). Somewhere between 1 and 5, or should I just call it a red and go 5?

Back to filtering whites/reds, I only filter my whites, don't bother to do my reds, never saw a need. I age ALL my wines [except SP], for at least a year before bottling. The reds are very clear & I'm afraid of "removing" something. Roy

Id go with a 1 for a blush as they are really just a white with a tint.

Do you guys have your filter housings mounted upside down (I woul dlike to mount mine to the board that I have my vacuum pump mounted to)? If so, do you need to make any modifications to the filter housing assembly? I see the post on the first page of this thread where the center pipe was added but wasn't sure what that was for.
Just getting this set up now (just got the filter today).
I am using a 'rainfresh' whole house filter system (Canada) with a 1 and a 5 micron filter.

Thanks!

The center post was added to draw the wine from the bottom of the filter so you don't leave a filter full behind. I find it works fine to just turn the filter upside down. I don't have mine mounted and just do it by hand. If I mounted it I'd probably rig up something that I could turn right side up for filtering and upside down at the end.

Back