White Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can I take some of this white oak I have, toast it, and throw it in secondary and get a taste like it were made in an oak barrel?? Would it matter what kind of fruits were used. Any fruits not recommended for this?? Tons of white oak firewood just dying for more of a purpose.

if it's really white oak and not burr oak you can use it. If it smells like vanilla it's white oak, if it's neutral smelling it's burr oak. I use white oak strips and toast them either in the oven or using a torch, french oak supposedly tastes so good because they age it outside so you should be good, my oak was aged in the hay mow of a barn so it didn't go through the cycles of wet and dry like french oak.

IMHO, an oven does not get hot enough to mimic a well conditioned medium toast barrel. I would make a tourch my preferred method.

Unless one knows what one is doing, it might be better to buy one's oaking materials all ready to go. But I guess a little experimentation won't hurt as long as one accepts the possible consequences.

It has to be white oak.
I believe the oak has to be very well dried before toasting.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back