Which

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lab bench answer;
there aren’t any fruits which copy red grape as well as another variety of red grape. BUT you can take several high high pigment (polyphenols) types of fruit and build back the missing acidity, sugar and tannin and if desired oak, ,,, to come out with a big red wine. ,,,, think of a grape juice as being a neat assembled set of building blocks where the target chemistry is done for you.
My 2021 mulberry was put together to be a big red wine. ,,, I should put some in contest as a red grape to see what the opinions are.

A lab bench answer;
there aren’t any fruits which copy red grape as well as another variety of red grape. BUT you can take several high high pigment (polyphenols) types of fruit and build back the missing acidity, sugar and tannin and if desired oak, ,,, to come out with a big red wine. ,,,, think of a grape juice as being a neat assembled set of building blocks where the target chemistry is done for you.
My 2021 mulberry was put together to be a big red wine. ,,, I should put some in contest as a red grape to see what the opinions are.
So you just tinkered till you had the wine you wanted?

Yes I cook/ tinker/ try to understand flavors. ,, I try flavors out in pie to see if the concept might work before I tie up a carboy for a year.
So you just tinkered till you had the wine you wanted?
Mulberry I have done for several years and for laughs decided to do a “big red wine“ last year. Building blocks! , , , , this was the mulberry color standard
3392AB49-E716-4B8D-BF50-A0021581FA20.jpeg

Yes I cook/ tinker/ try to understand flavors. ,, I try flavors out in pie to see if the concept might work before I tie up a carboy for a year.

Mulberry I have done for several years and for laughs decided to do a “big red wine“ last year. Building blocks! , , , , this was the mulberry color standard
View attachment 85284
I'm not following. What do you mean color standard?water- the darkest mulberry?

I'm not following. What do you mean color standard?water- the darkest mulberry?
Humm? If I am on the lab bench I have a target for appearance, , , density of color is one of the appearance traits in wine. This test gave an estimate of what the beverage would look like if diluted with a low pigmented aroma producing juice.
My view is that wine/ a beverage can be built by blending traits.

Humm? If I am on the lab bench I have a target for appearance, , , density of color is one of the appearance traits in wine. This test gave an estimate of what the beverage would look like if diluted with a low pigmented aroma producing juice.
My view is that wine/ a beverage can be built by blending traits.
So those glasses represent your color spectrum for different appearances you want to achieve?

Tell me more about mulberry wine! We have several giant trees and I've been hesitant to make it because I've read it makes weak boring wine. I'd love to have a good recipe!

i have done three mulberry wines;
* a 100% juice pH corrected done with acid blend which was boring had lost most of the identifiable fruity notes.
* a 100% juice which had real lemon added which supplied missing fruity notes, this pulled it to pH 3.7 and then acid blend added to bring the mix down to 3.3. Excellent mulberry flavor but need to be back sweetened to 1.015 since the TA ran above 1.00%.
* 2021 I decided to do a “big red wine”, again 100% juice, loaded it up with chestnut tannin 1/2 tsp per gallon plus a little FT blanc, pulled the pH down to 3.5 with phosphoric acid, oaked it. Of the people I have tried it on it makes a full bodied wine but still has fruity aromatics so the judge guesses it is some berry wine not a grape,,This will be done again with other tannins, is thick so I should cut it 25 to 50% with water to get closer to a grape mouth feel.
Tell me more about mulberry wine! We have several giant trees and I've been hesitant to make it because I've read it makes weak boring wine. I'd love to have a good recipe!

Last edited:
i have done three mulberry wines;
* a 100% juice pH corrected done with acid blend which was boring had lost most of the identifiable fruity notes.
* a 100% juice which had real lemon added which supplied missing fruity notes, this pulled it to pH 3.7 and then acid blend added to bring the mix down to 3.3. Excellent mulberry flavor but need to be back sweetened to 1.015 since the TA ran above 1.00%.
* 2021 I decided to do a “big red wine”, again 100% juice, loaded it up with chestnut tannin 1/2 tsp per gallon plus a little FT blanc, pulled the pH down to 3.5 with phosphoric acid, oaked it. Of the people I have tried it on it makes a full bodied wine but still has fruity aromatics so the judge guesses it is some berry wine not a grape,,This will be done again with other tannins, is thick so I should cut it 25 to 50% with water to get closer to a grape mouth feel.
I'll have to give it a try this year! Any idea how much fruit is needed for a 23l batch?

Latest posts

Back