Which of these wines need body?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I have just made Strawberry, Blackberry and Peach wines this summer. I have 5 gallon of each and I hear a lot on this board about adding glycerine as an aid to give body and slight sweeter taste. I have not tasted the wine yet since it is bulk aging until next year. I guess what I am asking here is does any of these three fruits generally come up short on body unless you do something to add body? I did add raisins to the strawberry but nothing to the peach and blackberry? Any help here would be appreciated

The only way to tell is to taste them! Grab your wine thief and a small wine glass and start tasting. only then will you know if you need to tweak them. To me, that is the funnest part of winemaking! To answer your question, the blackberry is just begging for some french oak!

I am also making peach (1.5 gallons) and the consensus was that peach by itself generally lacks body and they recommend adding white grape concentrate after fermentation. I added three lbs of muscadines to mine, but I add muscadines to everything.

Another vote for oak in the blackberry. If you haven't backsweetened, add a little glycerin. It'll sweeten and add body at the same time.

Almost any fruit besides grape needs body with the exception of like Elderberry, Black Currant, and maybe Blackberry. Like said above the blackberry would be good with some oak.

3 votes for oaking the blackberry! An F-pack might do the peach a world of good. You should definitely taste it. Which reminds me, I need to taste mine tonight.

Back