where's a shoot when you need one

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
i am training the vines to branch at thetop [5 foot wire]. everything is going well, and the shoots are at about 5-6 feet. however, each vine has only one long shoot going up, from ground to thetip. if i want two cordons, [left and right], how do i get a second nice shoot to develop at about the 5 foot level, so i can train one to the left etc. hope this makes sense.
in other words, i have onlyone, so i cantrain itto the right.

can i cut the tip off of that long vine and force shoots to develop below the cut, and use one of those tot he left??

Reis, it's early enough in the season that if you cut the vine like you say just below the wire. It will develop serveral buds turning into shoots aroound the area of the cut. Let two or three develop into shoots and as they grow train one each way. If the vine spacint is really close, you could go with a single turn into one cordon(like 4 foot spading) If you do this, turn each one the same direction. I would cut below the wire myself and develop two. Another option is to let another shoot develop at the wire level and after it gets long enough, turn it the other way. Yoy won't be getting grapes off these this year so any way you choose will work for next year.

Latest posts

Back