where to age my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a saskatoon berry, a mixed berry and an apple cider wine in secondary carboys aging. I have them in the kitchen cause I have no where else to go with them. Recently someone mentioned to me that I should have them in the dark. Is this true?

I have a saskatoon berry, a mixed berry and an apple cider wine in secondary carboys aging. I have them in the kitchen cause I have no where else to go with them. Recently someone mentioned to me that I should have them in the dark. Is this true?

Ideally you want to age your wine and store it in a cool dark area, it will last longer. If you have nowhere else to go with them then it doesn't really matter about ideal situations. Just do the best you can with what you have. If you can't do anything about the temp. you can try covering your carboys or bottles to keep light from penetrating the glass.

LOUMIK

Think "cave conditions". There is a reason the a lot of wine is storred undergound. The conditions found in a cave are considered by most as perfect and ideal for storring wine. (cool, dark, humid, with only slight changes in these conditions over time).

Also, once fermentation is done, since you have some heat there in the kitchen,be sure to keep the wine, while in carboy, topped off as high as possible and still not overflow. Same in the bottles, make sure each bottle is filled to the proper level beneath the cork. Other than wine, the bugs that make vinegar really like two things - heat and oxygen.

Well i bottled the saskatoon and mixed berry last night soi don't have to worry about them. i will cover the apple cider right away.

even bottled needs to be kept in a cool and dark spot. Maybe put what you will drink in a few months out for display.

oh yes, the bottled wine goes down into the cold storage room in the basement. I don't have a sink or any shelving down there to make it.

I am going to have the same problem. I live in AZ, my house doesn't have a basement or cellar. I have lots of natural light too. Would putting them in the closet work? Although the closets stay pretty warm...

Just wrap a dark towel, tshirt, paper sack, etc around the carboys to keep the light out. Once they are in bottles (assuming you use dark bottles), light is less of an issue.

Latest posts

Back