Cellar Craft when to think about SO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAlchemist

Reaction score
Finally got my CC Red Mtn Cab Sav going, just racked off the gross lees and now its sitting in a 5 gallon glass carboy with the topping off left overs enjoying life in beer bottles and a growler. So, I figure that the kit makers put in plenty of SO2 to go get to the bottle as long as you follow their directions; however, I'm bulk aging this, so the question is, when do I need to really be concerned about testing for SO2 as I'm planning on picking up the vinmetrica but want to hold off a few months to save up some money?

The initial dose will take you out to 3-6 mo. Once you get the Vinemetrica you can test for SO2 level (and pH) and adjust for long term aging.

ibglowin said:
The initial dose will take you out to 3-6 mo. Once you get the Vinemetrica you can test for SO2 level (and pH) and adjust for long term aging.

I was under the impression i wouldn't have to play with pH on a kit or are you just saying that i could do it for giggles?

Excellent, Mike - I love a good double entendre! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back