When to start MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsmithny

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have several reds from juice buckets aging now. They are all from 2013
harvests. Is there a specific time to introduce MLF or can it be any time before the spring?
Or did I miss the window completely?
This is only the second season making wine for me so I still have lots to learn.

The Cabernet Sauvignon I made in 2012 was bottled in May of 2013 and was really good but I think it went through a secondary fermentation in the bottle as several weeks afterwards it developed more C02. The taste changed a bit though it still very drinkable.
I'd like to have more control over what happens so any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
As soon as the Alcoholic fermentation is complete, you can pitch your Malolactic bacteria, if you have the wine in an area that is within the temperature tolerance of the strain of MLB that you plan on using, you will be OK.
Have you added meta to the wine to stabilize it? If so, I would test it to make sure that it is within the SO2 tolerance as well, but to be honest, you should be fine as long as you didn't add more than a 1/4 tsp.
You are on the right path wanting to have more control over the wine, putting your (red) wine through MLF is a smart move for more than one reason.
I actually pitched my MLB right before the cold spell started, MLF was well underway until the temps dropped fast, MLF slowed to a crawl and stopped, I added heat to the carboys, MLF is now active again.
If you have several reds, I highly recommend purchasing VP 41, a packets that can treat up to 60 gallons will run you approx. $39.00, but can assure that it is a great MLB!
I would purchase Act-ML and Opti-Malo as well to ensure a healthy MLB population.
You can wait until spring, but, the longer you wait without stabilizing the wine with Meta, the longer your wine is at risk for spoilage organisms.
If the wine is at room temp, I'd start MLF as soon as possible!
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I've only done a few batches of juice/grapes, but I pitched MLB right after racking to secondary.

Are these from fall harvests? Have you added any sulphite at all yet?

Tom was a minute ahead of me and had a much better response. Story of my life: a day late and a dollar short. :)

Jim, we said the same thing, ya know what they say "great minds drink alike"...or something like that....lol

MLF can be done from shortly before fermentation is complete to after. You are well into the after stage. LOL If you try to do it now, be sure the S02 level is low and pH above around 3.2 and the wine temps about 65F to 72.

The Dec 2013 WineMaker magazine has a great article on MLF timing. That magazine is money well spent, IMO.

If there could be considered a specific time to start MLF it would be to get MLF done ASAP so that the meta can be added to the wine sooner to protect the wine from possible oxidation and Brett infection. According to WineMaker that usually means co-fermentation of the must with yeast and malo unless the specs on the must are not ideal and a stuck fermentation is possible, or there is a stylistic reason for sequential fermentation (of which there are a few)

I've spoken to a few pro winemakers, and a bunch of guys that are close to being pro without actually working at a winery, and they all seem to have their different opinions, those who start co-fermenting somewhere in the area of 5 brix or so all said that MLF was completed sooner, which makes sense, others didn't co-ferment because they felt that the MLB would be competing for nutrients, and possibly slow the Alcoholic fermentation down at the risk of a stuck fermentations. Which is better? I don't know, I can only tell what I've been successful at, which is waiting for Alcoholic fermentation to finish before starting MLF.
If the issue of stabilizing the wine sooner is the reason for co-fermentation, as long as MLF is producing CO2, I don't think that there is too much to worry about as long as you limit the head space, which we should all being doing anyway.
Rich/Grapeman owns and operate his own vineyard and winery, I tend to listen closely to what he says.
I agree about getting a subscription to Wine makers Mag, lots of interesting articles.
I hope that we haven't confused you.
Keep the questions coming,

Tom

Latest posts

Back