When is degassing done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
Being thrifty, and a HVAC contractor, I degassed a few of my wines last night using my vacuum pump used for bringing air conditioning systems to a full vacuum of 29.9 inches mercury. I have read I don't want to bring it above around 22 so I was careful. I used 3/8" tubing and a fitting into a bung. The amount of bubbles were astounding. I could see a major reduction in available gas bubbles after around 5 minutes of vacuum. Am I supposed to vacuum until the bubbles subside, or am I just looking for a specific vacuum measurement? When do I decide I am done?

You usually stop when large bubbles disappear and just fine ones here and there appear. Don't degass for long periods.

Take a small sample in a glass, cover with your hand and shake for 5-10 seconds. If you get a fffft, it needs more.

If you stir must often, splash rack or vac pump transfer, then vac transfer at each stage you won't have a problem.

You can taste your wine, if fizzy it still needs degassing.

Back