What's that smell?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comet in TX

Reaction score
This probably isn't an emergency, but can someone tell me what range of smells is normal during the primary fermentation of wine?

I am about 4 1/2 days into primary fermentation of my 1st kit, the WE Australian GSM. Everything was cleaned and sanitized and I'm positive I didn't go adding anything mistakenly - just the bentonite, juice, oak and yeast. I used regular tap water. Fermenting temperature has been hovering b/t 72 and 74 F. My 1st hydrometer reading was 1.088.

I was really impressed when I poured the juice how much it smelt like wine.

I don't know what it smells like now, but it's nothing I've smelt before! I've baked bread, so I know what yeast smells like, and this isn't it. The smell does seem to have diminished some today.

Anyway, I don't know that I'm actually worried b/c I don't see what I could have screwed up this early in the game, and I was prepared for yeast smells, but this is something else. Maybe sweet/sour, like citrus, but not vinegar?..........

Appreciate the thoughts..

You are just smelling the normal smells of fermentation going on. The range of smells is quite large and many of us love it! During active fermentation, I love going into the winery in the moring and get greeted with it's robust aroma. Not to worry.

Hold on to your Falling Stars, Comet!!! It is the wonderful fermentation smells. It isn't always the yeast smell.
smiley4.gif
You are doing fine. Keep going and relax.

You are going to learn to love those smells... (your significant other may not).

Newbie grin. Alright, alright! I just wasn't prepared for a smell I wasn't even sure how to label.

I'm going to do my first racking today, should be interesting!

My significant has still not learned......

Oh well, at least I am in my own space now!
smiley17.gif

Big Ike said:
You are going to learn to love those smells... (your significant other may not).

Even the same kit can smell different if done side by side, thats when you start to wonder but then it comes back around to smelling wonderful. Some wines can smell great through out a fermentation while another can really stink up the joint but never give up on a batch.

ibglowin said:
My significant has still not learned......

Oh well, at least I am in my own space now!
smiley17.gif

Big Ike said:

Mike,

I don't have that nifty little office/winery/man cave that you've got going. I'm not sure how to get that built, but I'm still pondering.

In the meantime, everyone (my wife and two girls) gets to enjoy the "winery" as it progresses/processes.

Back